painting the tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting the tank

I was wondering if painting the tank black for the background is a good idea?

i paint all my tanks. the ones i offered you are all painted.
    fishless

Comment

People do it all the time. Someone told me latex is best (can't remember who). It can easily be removed with a razor blade, in case in the future you decide you don't want it.
      -Laura-

Comment

Painting the back of a tank can seriously hurt the PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) of your lighting . there was a write up about this in the may issue of Tropical fish Hobbiest magazine. although if you are not keeping plants or corals that shouldn't really matter. I agree with the latex enamel paint, comes off easily down the road.
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

use the oil base paint . its really easy to paint and cheap. paint about 3 layers and your background will look nice. then cover the back of your tank by paper and tape so water can not get on when doing water change or cleaning filter. if you want to change the color later, just use wet tower, remove the paint easily.

Comment

also...choose your background color wisely. it will affect the color of your fish. For instance, Discus would not look at all in a black background tank. The fish would stay dark in color. Yet a very light blue background would bring out its colors very nicely. Just depends on the fish.
            250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Originally posted by newb View Post
              also...choose your background color wisely. it will affect the color of your fish. For instance, Discus would not look at all in a black background tank. The fish would stay dark in color. Yet a very light blue background would bring out its colors very nicely. Just depends on the fish.

what is a good color for my flowerhorn?

Comment

not sure about that one...I have never kept a flowerhorn. Jisatsuguy keeps them. he might help you out
                250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

I use dark blue for my light colored bettas (White or pastel).
                  Pink for my dark bettas (Blue or Red)
                  Light blue for everything else.

I usually buy a can of cheap latex and a 3" foam brush or roller and it takes 2 coats.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Anybody ever used white or grey? Seems like black and blue are the most popular.
                    -Laura-

Comment

I like the lighter pastells for planted tanks, seems to give them more light.
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i just got a 50 gallon tank and stand from my uncle. i painted the stand black today. now i am comtemplating what color should i paint the tank's wooden frame? any ideas anyone?

Comment

Working...
                        X