Making your own filter pads for HOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your own filter pads for HOB

I have a Emp400 and a penguin 350. I was just wondering, if you dont buy your own premade blue filter pads, what are the best cost effective ways to make your own?

I am not sure but I think they also have it cut for Emporer.

380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I use polyester quilt padding from Walmart. The 400 and 350 are the same width but different lengths.
      I bought holders(for any filter media) for each several years ago, but they are difficult to find now.

Comment

Anything could work you could trim for a frame and then use rubberbands and put blue bonded pad on it. There is plastic eggcrate at Lowes and Home Depot that could work
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I made a 11 x 16 pattern out of masonite or you could even use card board. mark out a whole sheet and cut all once. stack up nice and neat. then I use the plastic chemical media basket(only 1/2 of it and it does not mater which 1/2). lay batting flat set basket on it with about 1" over hanging on top & bottom. you can use 3 fat rubber bands to attach. I only use the rubber bands on heavely stocked tanks that I know I will change the filter weekly. on smaller tanks I use monofilament fishing line. pull out 5 ft tie a loop knot in the end run the line thru it sinch it up, wrap it around 6 or 7 times moving up to the top. tie it off. those rubber bands break down after a couple of weeks.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
            I made a 11 x 16 pattern out of masonite or you could even use card board. mark out a whole sheet and cut all once. stack up nice and neat. then I use the plastic chemical media basket(only 1/2 of it and it does not mater which 1/2). lay batting flat set basket on it with about 1" over hanging on top & bottom. you can use 3 fat rubber bands to attach. I only use the rubber bands on heavely stocked tanks that I know I will change the filter weekly. on smaller tanks I use monofilament fishing line. pull out 5 ft tie a loop knot in the end run the line thru it sinch it up, wrap it around 6 or 7 times moving up to the top. tie it off. those rubber bands break down after a couple of weeks.
            so just thick pieces of cardboard attached to the filter media basket? anything on the inside?

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
              pics would help
              fishless

Comment

the card board is just a pattern it does not go in the filter. Vidio on the way.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

vidio & pics of filterpad

the pattern is 11 x 16

filter pad laid out with frame on top

filter pad with rubber bands for tanks you change this weekly.(do not reuse rubber bands)

mono filament fishing line 20lb. you could use any but 20lb is easy to work with.

pull out a doulble arm length & a half. about 7 or 8 ft. for tanks that you will not change the pad in more than a couple of weeks.

wrapping the fishing line around the filter pad.
                  Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                  Last edited by fshfrk; 03-25-2009, 09:21 PM.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

check out the group buy forum I have 8ft x 20ft pieces of this at cost.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                    X