Jack Dempsey questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey questions

Hey everybody. I have two Jack Dempsey's with a few other cichlids in a tank, and just out of curiousity sake, I know the kind of temper they are supposed to have, but have any of you guys experienced a mild mannered dempsey? one of my Dempseys, as expected, kind of runs the show vs. the littler one, and has outgrown him by leaps and bounds, but neither of them are really aggressive. they dont attack other fish, they dont attack each other, they mind their own business and they dont even eat other fish. i added two TINY little fish to my tank in trust that the dempseys wouldnt eat them, and they didnt even bother to try to eat them at all. They don't bother any live fish or shrimp. Curious if anyone has experienced anything similar. I enjoy it a lot because I can put other fish in without worrying about them being eaten, just noticing it as odd, being my bigger dempsey is one of my biggest fish in the tank and he never messes with any of them. I've had both since last September.

if they were both the same size when you first got them and one is way bigger you might have a male and female. If you do then you will have to keep an eye on the other fish when they start breeding. as far as the temperament every fish is unique so you just happen to get some dempseys that dont mind having company. GL
    fishless

Comment

As a owner of a JD pair, they're 2 of the most passive fish I've owned. So the behavior you're seeing isn't unusual. However, I do agree totally w/ Rico. If they start breeding, then you may have your hands full. So invest in a couple of Run-About balls which is used for small animals. They're a quick and easy answer when you need to isolate a fish, but can't/don't want to set up another tank.

Comment

jds are not a very aggro sp to begin with, i have had several pairs, and sevral individuals, and average temperment for them is between a green terror and a severum.
        also, jack dempseys become more laid back with age and size.
        also, jack dempseys are one of the few larger SA?CA cichlids that dont really mind having others of there kind with them, you can easilly keep 2 males together, in a tank of atleast 75g with no problems, i have kept a 8" gold jd male witha 9" regular jd male with a 8" blue gene(not blue jd, but the blue geen carriers) male in a 75g, with no problems at all, i kept them in there for several months, before selling them.
        now if they are paired of, they dont really like being with their own kind, as they then see them as a threat, but they dont mind eachother for the most part.
        also, jds males, can and will with proper care and an appropiately sized tan males will reach well over 10".
        the biggest male i have ever had reached 12.5"tl, they get much bigger than labeled at petsmart, and much bigger than most books say.
        avg size for my males was around 10-11" tl, females can and will with proper carereach 8-9"tl.

overall, these fish are not that aggro, and with age become very docile.
        they are most aggro around the size of 3-7"tl.
        i hope this hepls.
        FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Working...
        X