Houston area breeding of Geophagus Crassilabris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston area breeding of Geophagus Crassilabris

I was feeding my geo tank frozen brine shimp this morning and was astonished to see a female crassilabris holding eggs. It's too early to tell if this breeding will produce any fry or if she will eat the eggs but I am certainly going to give it the 'old college try!" The peculiar thing is that I noticed the pair doing something last night but it was the secondary male rather than the dominant male that was breeding and I didn't think they were actually producing anything!

SWEET!!!!!!!

Put me first in line for fry!!!!!!!!!
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

thats awesome, put me in line after Eartheater!!
      If it ain't wild caught
      You ain't doing it right

Comment

Sure thing. She is small, though and I can't imagine she has more than 20 eggs or so. As of this morning, she was still holding. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Robert

Comment

NICE!

i loves me some geos:)
          FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

We have babies!

I have been sort of alarmed for the last week because my female although refusing to eat never seemed to have any babies. My Steindachneri's tend to release their babies after about 12 days and tomorrow would have been 3 weeks for this female. Anyway, I cleaned out a tank and put the female crassilabris in it and hid behind a piece of furniture and waited and after a good deal of time she released about 8 HUGE babies and immediately took them back in. Anyway, I am very excited and am looking forward to tonight when it is dark and I can sit closer to the tank without her knowing.

Robert

Comment

dude, i will take 1!!!
              pm when there ready!
              i have always wanted a cras!!!
              FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

She had her babies out this morning and I counted about 22 before they swam back into her bucal cavity. They are HUGE suckers. I am not really sure where she fits them all in. More as it develops.

Robert

Comment

nice
                  Last edited by TaTeR ToT; 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM.
                  FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X