pulcher pelvicachromis super red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulcher pelvicachromis super red

We were at Gallery today and they had a pair of these in their display tank with some congo tetras. The male was gorgeous and looked just like this pic http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-pulcher-male.jpg

I've tried googling to learn more about them, but I'm obviously doing something wrong because I'm not finding much other than they used to be called kribs but no longer. I'm looking for care requirements, tankmates, etc.

Thanks for your help!
    Karen

that is a kribensis, a small westy african dwarf cichlid.
    very much like the apistos of souith america.
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

they are peaceful and grow to about 3" m, 2.25" f.
      they require atleast a 20glong, with ample hiding spaces, with driftwood, plants and rocks, to mimick the rivers they inhabit int he wild.
      they require somewhat soft acidic water, i would say add some smaller tetras, with maybe a small group of dwarf upside down cats(syno. nigriventis).
      google kribensis, and you;ll find all the info you'll need.
      i had a pair of these before, very entertaining little fish.
      FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

btwq, their scientific name is Pelvichromis pulcher, you had it backwards:)
        FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

LOL, thanks! And it sounds like if they are Kribs it should be in the African section instead of S American.
            Karen

Comment

your very welcome:)
              FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

I have seen them housed in just about everything being that they are an old species they have adapted to captivity.

They will live wherever you put them but the one's in the FG display has been treated well which is evident in it's colors.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

super reds

lol whats with all the confusion. i have no idea but super reds are super reds. they are Not Pulchers. whether theres a scientific name for them or not. super reds are absolutely Not Pulchers. they look just like pulchers, even act the same , but they are definately a complete different Type of fish.
                  nike shoes come in shox ,airs etc. but because we cant tell the difference we will just say "Nice Nikes" and it takes care of the stupidity behind calling a pair of "airs" Shox Right? so well play it safe and slap the term
                  pulcher on every Pelvicachromis there is. that'll cover it.
                  I have super reds from the exact same place Fish gallery obtained their display Reds. and mine are just as beautiful.

i also have 2 breeding pair of the sacrimontis kribensis , by the way the males always seem to have attitudes toward the females. their much more aggressive than the pulchers.
                  and yes i do know that pulcher is the scientific name used to describe this type of fish that has no description. thus confusing the heck out of anyone trying to research or raise them.
                  sacrimontis = teal aqua green and sometime red coloration, also called the giant krib and rainbow krib. btw Don has a few pairs in stock now (fish gallery)

pelvicachromis pulcher = purple/pink belly predominately yellow and black markings sometimes orange tints and hues and i actually have a male with a tail fin trimmed in red/ fire orange ( who wont pair off for me )

everything ive said is true to my knowledge , because ive not yet dicoverered any scientific proof as to a better definition of these fish.

I can tell you that i have 10 proven pair of p.pulchers and currently have a 50 gallon tank full of fry , a 10 gal breeder tank with eggs, and another 10 gal. ful of fry ( im allowing the parents to raise)<--another Test!!on theory.
                  all of which have never seen AN ACIDIC OR SOFTWATER CONDITION IN THEIR ENTIRE LIFE.
                  and most have never seen more than 10 gallons of water.
                  my water is tapwater, and i use aragonite as a substrate . My PH stays at 8.0 -8.2 and i do 60&#37; water changes, feed twice a day, 4-8 hr photoperiods . ive recently had a discussion with a very educated aquatic store owner and discussed my findings as far as water quality (MYTHS) and we have come to the conclusion that most fish that are tank raised have no clue what ph they belong in, they only know what ph they live in.
                  we have also agreed that the PH Myth Is Just That.
                  i have happy rams living in my 300 gallon 8.0 cichlid tank and im bearing fry in 8.0 tanks like crazy. we do find that once a fish is taken from a store, regardless of the ph. PROPER ACLIMATION IS REQ. Introduce your fish into the water he will live in the rest of his life THEN KEEP THE PH STEADY. that seems to be what works . Says the man professionally raising DISCUS IN HARD WATER. I have personally seen the results, the fish are actually better looking and healthier than the acidic softwater discus ive seen.
                  lol and all that work with r/o water i used to do just to keep happy discus.
                  seems true when thats all you know. but proof really is in the pudding.
                  i dont claim to be a professional , but my waters crystal klear my fish are spawning like crazy. AND THE 50 % of the fry im supposed to lose because theyre too small to eat flake food. Whatever . Still havent seen any losses.
                  back to the kribs. 10 gallons of hard water at room temperature with a sponge filter and anything for shelter ( I use 1 rock any shape) flower pots are not required , they dont use them because the internet tells them to .
                  my fry are placed under rocks , right next to sponge filters. i even have a father pulcher i love to annoy. he spends all day digging the sand from under a stone , then i cover the hole so he can do it again.
                  my kribs have even laid eggs in barnacles way too small for their bodies to even fit into. how i have no clue. but the female decides where to lay. and if theres no flowerpot they dont care.
                  good luck with the krib research. i havent had any. so trial and error lead my way. now its my habit.
                  4 pair of pulcher stay in my bedroom 100% of the time in seperate tanks.
                  i have about 10 pulcher whom dont want to parent right now, in holding tanks (completely outfitted and treated just as well as the prize tank)
                  i just call it holding because its just a place holding them.
                  the 50 gal. bowfront in my bedroom is full of the fry. less stress on them and i like to watch them gro.
                  the 300 gallon cichlid display is in the bay window ( living area ) lightly stocked with plants overkill on lights and double stocked on filtration and fisheez. also containing breeding cichlids whom are stripped at 3-1/2 weeks.
                  a 40 gal. also in the bay window heavily stocked with plants containing 1 snail, 1 o-cat and 1 pair of breeder Sacrimontis.(green kribs)nigerian greens , rainbow kribs , Giant kribs LMAO AND Pulchers. all these names for 1 fish ( a green krib ) Sacrimontis. Not PULCHER
                  a 20 long ( bay window ) holding 2m3fm Breeding Acei. And Still waiting 4 a successful Hatch.
                  also have 1 breeding pair of sacrimontis in the 300 gallon.

my funniest experiment was the 1yr no water change , no food, no filtration, no lighting cichlid tank.
                  i let my 300 gallon tank go stagnant full of 2"-3" ciclids, i never ran the filters air, nothing. it wasso bad after a year the glass was 900% algae 300%live bloodworms living in my gravel and much to my surprise when i finally decided that there was no way on earth that any fish could have survived that trauma, i drained the tank ,scraped the algae, degreened the gravel turned on the pumps and refilled the tank .
                  a week later when the much settled and the glass cleared (much to my surprise) every single fish in the entire tank was still alive and double in size. ive had fish in my homes every day of my life from birth and since the age of 14 ive had my own setups. and to this day have never lost a fish !!!!
                  due to my ignorance or lack of knowledge. i did lose a whole colony of tropheus just recently ( THANKS JASON ) Mr FISH ARENT US .
                  200 bucks for some 1/2" ikolas that make aclimation ok then mysteriously die overnight everysingleone and theyre all in the exact same spot on the gravel. ( me thinks bloat ) he thinks water quality issue, later that day i put my kribs in the tanks, also some tinfoil barbs , then a few other randoms and they have no issues with the tank. yet dufus claims its lack of oxygen or chlorine LMAO. no more sales from u .
                  i think i just wrote a column. o well good luck with what they say , ill keep my luck with what ive proven.

REDS ARE NOT PULCHERS PEACE PEEPS.
                  Last edited by sacrimontis; 05-09-2009, 10:49 AM. Reason: Pelvicachromis misp

Comment

Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

too much ritalin...
                      25g - Reef
                      3.5g - Surge Tank
                      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

lmao

yeah obviously.
                        you know cases have shown that a person whom does not require ritalin
                        that uses ritalin ( actually works just like speed ) and causes a reversed reaction.

maybe thats how i have the energy to work, raise 4 kids and still maintain 10 aquariums.

Comment

Working...
                        X