What kind of fish is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of fish is this?

Me and brother decided to go do a little fishing this afternoon and we decided that whatever we caught was gonna go in my SA/CA tank. This is what we caught. We have no idea what it is, but we like it. What the hell is it?

If it ain't wild caught
    You ain't doing it right

........it's a fish......

Comment

Looks like a species of mosquito fish. I'll look at some native sites today and see if I can find it. Ever hear of mud minnows? Looks a lot like your fish. Where exactly did you catch it?

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Brinette or Brunette Bay here in Baytown
        250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

I would say some sort of mosquito fish also. It looks a lot like something I got for a friend of mine's pond. Well, she called it a pond, I called it a big bucket with fish in it .
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

SHARK

Hope it doesn't carry any foreign bacteria or diseases.... would hate for your tank to get infected.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

How big is it? I can't tell from the pictures. And I would be worried about putting it with other fish, too, at least before a QT.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I think Mark's right. Check this pic to compare....the head shape looks right, the fin placement looks the same too. And from the pic (comparing to the plant behind it) it looks no more than 2", right?

Mosquito Fish (Gambusia affinis)

Our Fishhouse
                Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

that looks like my fish, one of them is about 2" and the other one is about 3". We were fishing out of the bay yesterday. The only difference between the picture and my fish is color. The two that i have are very green and speckled. They also have really bright orange fins. Whatever it is, they look cool in my tank and they are already eating pellets and bloodworms. I think i might start a "gulf of mexico" tank.
                  If it ain't wild caught
                  You ain't doing it right

Comment

I wanna say they're Gulf Killifish. Some kind of killifish, Fundulus species, at least. They look a bit too big for any type of Gambusia, and don't seem to have the right coloring.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                      I wanna say they're Gulf Killifish. Some kind of killifish, Fundulus species, at least. They look a bit too big for any type of Gambusia, and don't seem to have the right coloring.

I think Mzungu may be right, I've never seen a mosquito fish that big (not saying they don't exist, just I've never seen one). Besides, the caudal fin looks different between the two pics.
                      ‎Haiku's are easy
                      But sometimes they don't make sense
                      Refrigerator

Comment

Yeah, looking at it now, on an actual computer and not my phone, I'm more and more convinced it's a Fundulus. I've had a few species before, and it just has that "look." The shorter, almost snubbed nose, the fins, the coloring, the shape, just everything, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                          Yeah, looking at it now, on an actual computer and not my phone, I'm more and more convinced it's a Fundulus. I've had a few species before, and it just has that "look." The shorter, almost snubbed nose, the fins, the coloring, the shape, just everything, really.
                          I think you are right. I googled the fish you named and i'm conviced you are right. Good call
                          If it ain't wild caught
                          You ain't doing it right

Comment

I think maybe fundulus grandis. Down here on the bay we call 'em mud minnows...excellent flounder bait.

Mark
                            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I was thinking some sort of Killi too
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X