Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon puffer

Hey guys

I use to keep puffers a long time ago (now I am into planted tanks) and am enjoying this sub-forum.

I was at HAW (Dan's place) this past weekend and noticed that he has some Amazon puffers. It has been years since I last saw these things. Very peaceful and full on freshwater. I would have picked it up (the thought was very tempting) but all of my tanks have shrimp in them. May still do it and see if the cherry shrimp can out breed the puffers appetite.
    Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

I wanted to pick up some of them too, eventually. I do not know enough about their temprament and compatability w/ small fish and inverts (aside from snails). If you take the leap and buy some, I'd like to hear about your results. Or if anyone else has experience with them for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by kwc1974 View Post
      Hey guys

I use to keep puffers a long time ago (now I am into planted tanks) and am enjoying this sub-forum.

I was at HAW (Dan's place) this past weekend and noticed that he has some Amazon puffers. It has been years since I last saw these things. Very peaceful and full on freshwater. I would have picked it up (the thought was very tempting) but all of my tanks have shrimp in them. May still do it and see if the cherry shrimp can out breed the puffers appetite.
      How did you get out of there without taking them home??!! I got 5 of them a couple weeks ago...they have the best 'puppy in a petshop window' face and I couldn't resist. I haven't put mine in with any shrimp, but at their current size I bet there wouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that this kind of puffer has really fast growing teeth and it's likely you'll have to clip them at some point. Mine haven't shown any interest in the snails I've put in with them (yet) but I'm crossing my fingers. I hate clipping puffer teeth....
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by BEdward View Post
        I wanted to pick up some of them too, eventually. I do not know enough about their temprament and compatability w/ small fish and inverts (aside from snails). If you take the leap and buy some, I'd like to hear about your results. Or if anyone else has experience with them for that matter.
        I had all 5 in a 10 gallon with 2 desert gobies while I was getting the 50 planted and cycled and they were only curious about the gobies, and actually a little spooked by them. I was afraid they might nip at each other or the gobies before I could get them moved, but never had a problem. They remind me of bumblebees....always on the move and never slow down. They are definitely more hyper than our other puffers, but have been very good pets so far. They seem to need a lot of stuff to investigate or they get bored and pace the tank. You just have to keep a close eye on their teeth.
        Our Fishhouse

Comment

i love these guys i got 2 and one is pretty fiesty hes chasin some discus around but they are awesome i love these guys
          altums 90 gallon
          fahaka puffer 68
          community 60 cube

can't find it make it
          can find it make it better

Comment

imagirlgeek, get ready for some teeth trimming, there's no getting around it with these guys. You're going to make a great puffer dentist.

They are so cute, with tons of personality and they like to live in schools. I've never owned one and I actually never seen one, but I have seen lots of videos. Does that count?
            A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Well, I've still got my trusty clippers and finquil, so I'm good to go. We'll just have to have a dental day a couple times a year. Practice makes perfect, right?
              Our Fishhouse

Comment

That's right. The more you do it the easier it gets.

Comment

Now how about some pictures!

Comment

Our Fishhouse

Comment

how do trim puffer teeth? i've got to see this being done.
                      If it ain't wild caught
                      You ain't doing it right

Comment

I'll let you know when I do it again. You have to put them to sleep to do it....it's a pain. I clipped one of our puffers teeth a few months ago and the hardest part was getting him to go under. The clipping part is just like clipping a fingernail.
                        Our Fishhouse

Comment

Here's how it went last time....picture this...

Me sitting on floor in office. One bucket filled with new water and air stone. Other bucket with tank water. Me with a teeny tiny spoon scooping Finquil out of a teeny tiny bottle into a 1/4 tsp. (Because on one site they used 2 test kit spoons per 2 cups of water, and from another I calculated that it should be 1/4 tsp for every 5 liters.) I had to make sure those measurements were at least close. It was a little less than 1/4 tsp, so I dumped the Finquil into the water figuring too little is better than too much.

Next, I got Thumper (our puffer) and put him in the bucket. I stared into the bucket watching him swim in circles for 15 minutes. I don't think I blinked. I scooped out a little more Puffer drugs and sprinkled it into the bucket and swished it around with my hand. Okay, NOW Thump starts acting kind of Puffer-Drunk. Several more minutes go by...I sprinkle a tad more and he starts getting all wobbly. I am staring at Thump like he is about to tell me the Meaning of Life...he just acts loopy. So, in a moment of utter brilliance, I decide that 'drugged' is good enough. Hmm...maybe he's relaxed and won't mind that I'm putting a sharp metal object in his mouth. Boy, was I WRONG! He puffed...he has never puffed before, so I just put him back in the bucket. Another tiny sprinkle...a few minutes later he barely wiggling his fins and breathing good, so I scooped him out and clipped his teeth. I put him in the bucket of fresh water and within a couple of minutes he was back to normal.
                          Our Fishhouse

Comment

Saw some interesting puffers at Fish Gallery this past weekend....
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

sushi anyone? party at the geek's place!!

Comment

Working...
                              X