My Moonlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Moonlight

I made several LED moonlights and was not totally happy with the results. Then about a year ago I found a post on some other forum, don't remember which, for moonlights made from CCL's (cold cathode lights). The kind of lights people use to "trick out" computers. It was great at first but now after run for a year it seems to have dimmed a bit (the tubes are rated for about 3 years constant use). So I went back to the drawing board and add a pot. to change the intensity of the light. Here's the product on the first test.

Maximum light.

Minimum light.
    Attached Files
    Richard Douglas

They look pretty nice there, but I'm curious, how do they look on a tank?

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

They look good... I had a set over my L046 tank that I made long time ago.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

where do you buy these lights and are they expensive?
        If it ain't wild caught
        You ain't doing it right

Comment

Online, car shops, EPO, etc.

Cold Cathodes.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I got mine off of Ebay, but I think Fry Eletronics might have them. Do a search for cold cathode. They cost $10 - $20 for two 12" lights. Another $15 for power supply and pot.(if you want to vary the brightness). Haven't put the new one on the tank. I had problems with getting a picture of the tank with the old set that represented what you see it would either over expose and look brigther or flash and wash out the moonlight.
            I think they look better than the LEDs and are much easier to make. If there is an interest I can post the parts and how to put it together.
            Richard Douglas

Comment

There's EPO off westpark... they should have some there cheap.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

EPO has some great LEDS that I use on one of my tanks. Only 2.95 a piece and they are completely submersable, although I don't trust my wiring to do underwater lighting:
                HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

I've always kinda worried about using moonlights cause I've heard the fish need complete darkness to sleep. I don't leave mine plugged in all the time, only when I desire to have the effect.

Comment

I what some more lights for my new tank. I checked at EPO yesterday and they have a dual set of 12" blubs with the inverter that takes a 12V DC power supply for $14.95. They also had surplus 12V DC power supplies for $9.95. So with a pot, knob, and a small project box you are looking at ~$30 for the light. The advantage over LED's is you only have 3 conections with the dimmer 2 without and the project is done.
                  Richard Douglas

Comment

Look! Lightsabers! Jedi fish? nice setup
                    I dream of a Flagtail prochilodus!

Comment

Much simpler than the LED setup you are looking at, but if you want to do LED's I have nearly 1000 6000mcd blue LED's 3.2V for 10/$1.00. OR I also have a few CCL blue 12" with inverter two tubes in a set for $8.00
                      Richard Douglas

Comment

Working...
                      X