Angelfish setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelfish setup?

I've recently set up a discus tank and I think they are the coolest thing ever and would love to have a second tank of them, but know that's more work than I'm willing to put out.

For those who keep angelfish can you recommend where I can do some reading up on them and/or offer advice such as tank size, tankmates, care requirement, etc.?

I'm just in the research phase right now.
    Karen

The TAF II forum has a lot of good information, and of course you have the angel lovers here as well.

Here's the link to the TAF II:

My personal choice for angels is at least a 55 gallon. Like discus, they need a lot of vertical area, they're tall, especially the veil tails and the taller tanks show them off better IMHO. Any tankmates have to be large enough to not fit in their mouths, or even let them think they will fit in their mouths. While not quite as picky about their water, weekly water changes are the norm in my house. I keep mine about 80 degrees or so and feed quality flake, bloodworms and beefheat on occassion.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I don't mind weekly water changes, its the daily ones that can be a challenge :)
      Karen

Comment

Angels are the easiest fish that i've ever cared for. I have 7 good sized angels in a 55g tank and they are all happy. I have cory cats, clown loaches and two gold fish in the same tank (its kinda miss matched) and everyone gets along great. I use a sand substrate and coral decorations from PetSmart (i'll soon be switching to more natural decorations) I have an AquaTech 60 that has been wonderful. I feed them Wardley's Tropical Fish Flakes in the morning, NLS pellets for lunch and either bloodworms or brineshrimp for dinner. I do bi-weekly water changes and thats it. Hope some of this info helped.
        If it ain't wild caught
        You ain't doing it right

Comment

I put my Angels in with tetra, dwarf gourami, betta, cories, ottos, and a pleco. They are really easy and really hardy. While they might seem angelic, they are cichlids and males can become aggressive in early adulthood. At least the black ones do, pure black angels are more aggressive than any other, a hybrid black is even less aggressive than a pure black. But that's why I like them, looks like an angel with the red eyes of a demon. No matter what, they always seem hungry. They will eat just about anything like they haven't eaten in weeks.

Comment

Angels are like little aquatic puppy dogs. They learn to recognize you really quick. The only fish I have ever had problems with in an Angel tank is neon tetras, my angels loved to hunt them at random times.
            Water params are pretty basic unless your trying to breed them, then you'll want softer water to improve hatch rates.

Comment

Working...
            X