Tetraodon erythrotaenia (Update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetraodon erythrotaenia (Update)

Tetraodon erythrotaenia, also known as Red-striped Toadfish or Ninja puffer. Not much is known about these puffers. They are very rare in the trade until recently. They have been popping up everywhere and dying rather quickly. I'm not going to confuse everyone with all the details I'm just going to state facts. So here goes.

If you purchase this puffer you will probally find it in the freshwater section. This is not a freshwater puffer. You will need to set up a very light brackish tank. What I mean by this is to use sea salt, not aquarium salt. Make your sg 1.002. This is the easy part. If your tank is cycled at fw you can add enough salt to the tank to bring the sg up by .002 points and you will not kill your bacteria. There is only one person that I know of that has had success with this puffer. These facts come from him and his experience. The care for this puffer is the same as any other puffer. I'm hoping that if someone purchases this puffer, this will help them have a long and healthy life. If I come across more information I will update this post. If you have any questions please ask. If I cannot answer them for you I will ask the guy that owns one and post the answers here for you.
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Who knows, I may end up with a puffer of some kind down the road...thanks for the post.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

i rarely see puffers in the lfs's in their proper habitat.....as they are small and they can live in the FW for a time....it's really sad to me.....
      but i thank you for this information Lissa......i hope that when people are wanting to get a puffer that they do at least a little bit of research on them to get ready for them....i researched alot before i got RA.....and his tank was cycled and ready to go when i got him home.....
      it's sad to me....

Comment

I agree. There is WAY too much misinformation out there. And there is nothing worse than seeing a puffer not doing well.

I'll tell ya though...when I have a question, I just go to the Puffer Queen, Lissa. )
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

me too traci....she's DA BOMB ....

Comment

Stop it! You're embrassing me.

I can be wrong sometimes, but I will admit when I don't know.)
            A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Great post!
              Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
              Alexa Rae
              Co-President of CAK
              MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Working...
              X