remove old posts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove old posts!

You're doing a great job! May I make one suggestion. Posts should be removed after a certain period of time of being inactive. Also for sale posts should be remove after the items are sold. I feel this should be done by the poster not by management.
    sigpic
    No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
    AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
    LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
    AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
    NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
    MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Should we do away with the search function along with old post?

IMO, a forum full of post is a forum full of info. We can always go back and search old threads for useful info that we didn't need at the time of the post but do now.

The sale section maybe but not forums.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It's sometimes fun dusting off old posts and breathing new life into them. I do agree that old posts selling items should be locked or deleted once the item has been sold off.
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

OMG, EK and I AGREE on something????
        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I think there's merit towards both view points....I think a thread has a life span, maybe the loss to research would be minimal say after 12months or so...???

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I've searched threads from over 5yrs ago.... on various other forums though and having the thread live would make it accessible to google as well.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yes, some threads can contain information that may be useful for an indefinite period of time. Other threads are useless once they are posted. WTS threads still hold value when you are in the market for something would like to gauge (past) used prices and availability.. the same could be said for someone who wishes to do a little research before selling something. Who should have the power to pick what thread is valuable and what one is not? No one. Storage is cheap so keep it all. It is a matter of having good tools to help with the organizing and accessing (searching) of the data. locking a thread is fine however if a mod feels that it has no more life. A seller should change the title of a sale thread to append the word "SOLD" to it. "FOUND" for a WTB or whatever.

Comment

I too search old threads all the time for information, pictures, etc. I do agree with the old market posts being locked and or deleted - but only if the space is needed.

What I would like to see is a member gallery where you can view all the member's FTS in one gallery. Unfortunately I think that would take the work of one person to manage said gallery & I know it would be a lot of work to volunteer to do.
                Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

How about a compromise? Has anyone taken a look at DFWFishbox's Market section? They each have a subforum called 'Closed for sale ads', 'Closed want to buy ad', 'Closed freebies', yada yada yada...we could do something like that. Then the responsibility would lie on both the person who opens the thread and the mods. So, once the item is sold, the seller would be responsible for adding SOLD to the front of the title, or FOUND if that's the case. Then a mod would move it to the Closed forum.

As for FTS of all the members, you can go through the All Albums link and view the pics people have posted. Whether they post FTS is dependent on the individual.
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I personally feel it's your call as the owner/administrator of the HFB, to make whatever policy you wish.

I also very much appreciate that you request of the box members, their opinions about any new features and or changes you are considering.

In this case, if there is no issue with the amount of data that is stored on the HFB server, then let it be.

CF
                    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I say keep old posts.

I also like the idea of a section for sold/found and not it doesn't really need to be a sub-forum for each area. Just a bucket forum for all.
                      Raul
                      PokerFace

Comment

NO! as a box member I have rights! I DEMAND-- wait... nevermind :)

Comment

I'm always going to ask you guys what you think about a change if it's going to affect the way things are done around here. I won't always ask if it's something that doesn't affect you unless you choose to let it. ie - Fish Profile section...something you don't have to look at or contribute to if you don't want to...(not implemented yet, BTW). I don't think the Box would be very fun if I were the only one here.

All I ask is that when a request is made, you also give the reason why as well. We have enough new stuff to get used to around here without changing things just for the sake of changing things.

Personally, I'm not on board with deleting posts at all. Like CF said, if we have the diskspace, why delete it? But if it would make it easier to search the Fish Market posts, then I'm fine with creating the sub-forums for old posts.
                          Our Fishhouse
                          Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
                            .I don't think the Box would be very fun if I were the only one here.
                            Well, if you had Asperger's or even MPD then it could be pretty entertaining lol..

All I ask is that when a request is made, you also give the reason why as well. We have enough new stuff to get used to around here without changing things just for the sake of changing things.
                            My request for the FTS gallery was so that one could quickly cycle through a list of pictures of the same type so that they could look for aquascaping inspiration.

Personally, I'm not on board with deleting posts at all. Like CF said, if we have the diskspace, why delete it? But if it would make it easier to search the Fish Market posts, then I'm fine with creating the sub-forums for old posts.
                            That sounds like a good idea. If one of the market moderators would be willing to stay on top of it then it would be a great feature. I know its all volunteer work though, so I know it can be hard to keep up with in a person's free-time.

Comment

It's hard enough to get a member to post a FTS in the thread they created but now to get them to organize it in an album?
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X