Seperate Flowerhorn section...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperate Flowerhorn section...

I do not agree flowerhorns should be considered south/central american cichlids as they are man made. Though they are breed from those areas, its just misleading to some.
    Plecos:
    L083 (Gibby)
    L104 (Clown)
    L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
    L155 (A. Hystrix)
    L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
    LDA72 (BN)
    LDA76 (False Zebra)
    Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
    Rineloricaria lancelota

I wouldn't mind a Flowerhorn section, but I don't know how much traffic it would get..
    Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

if you build it, they will come

I meant, if Traci built it they will come
      Last edited by Kiovo; 02-20-2009, 09:13 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

i prefer natural fish
        Plecos:
        L083 (Gibby)
        L104 (Clown)
        L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
        L155 (A. Hystrix)
        L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
        LDA72 (BN)
        LDA76 (False Zebra)
        Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
        Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

how bout a hybrid section??? yeah some like natural fish, its kinda like choosing a faith... this summer i hope to create some hybrids...

Comment

+1 to Armadillo

Ok...let me start off by saying that I in no way want people to think the comments I'm about to make are disparaging people who keep Flowerhorns (hybrids). I would rather they be taken in the manner which I intend, which is to further education and conservation.

There are so many species, true species, of beautiful fish available, especially cichlids. The VAST majority of Flowerhorns come from the far east. More specifically, they come from the same places that offer the dyed, tattooed, surgically altered, and otherwise mutilated fish that we, as a community, seem to despise. So in a way, when you purchase a Flowerhorn, you're supporting those who would mutiliate other fish in the name of the almighty dollar. Furthermore, their practices of culling have created an incredible problem in Malaysia, for example, where the culls have found their way into the waterways and are now decimating species of native fish. Some would argue that this isn't happening, but the reports are out there.

Setting all that aside for a moment, let's look at it from the side of conservation. Conservation of threatened fishes takes work. It takes money. But key to both of these, it takes people. People who line breed fish such as angels, discus, or really anything else that is more than one generation removed from the wild know that eventually you have to breed back to wild or near-wild fish to maintain vigor. So these people have a vested interest in maintaining wild caught fish and their habitats. Or, put in other terms, the people who provide these fishes have an interest. Such is not the case with the Flowerhorn and other hybrids. They are always trying to make something new. Hybrids are crossed with other hybrids. Very rarely are any true species used. Thus, the true species becomes somewhat obsolete. When there is no demand, there is no incentive to cause the suppliers to protect their stock.

The problem with all this is that if someone goes into a shop and sees these fish, with no knowledge of their origins, they make a decision which I feel is regrettable. They buy the hybrid. As that bulids, the store owner orders more hybrids and the problem becomes worse and worse. The natural species become less and less available. As an example let me ask a question. How hard is it to find a pure trimaculatus now?

There are so many species available to us. Why would we need to create something unnatural? We have created so many nice strains through line breeding...a process that achieves some of the same goals as hybridization without mixing species. Some may look at this as an evil as well, but line breeding has been around since at least the 9th century...so I don't think we're going to change too much on that front.

I don't want to necessarily discourage anyone from keeping anything (within reason). What I do want to do is encourage people to fully consider the ramifications of their choices. The next time you have an empty tank, consider devoting some space to maintaining something threatened in the wild or endangered. There are programs here within the state (HCCC) and nationally with the ACA that can get you started or you can contact me if you'd like and I'll get you connected with the right people to make it happen....at very little cost, I might add.

In summary again, if I may reiterate, I'm not trying to disparage anyone here, or anywhere else for that matter. I just would like to see the hobby take a different route than it's taking. The last thing that I want to see is Flowerhorns in our waterways and the state coming down our our whole industry as recourse. I'll step off of my soapbox now...thanks for taking the time to read this.

--Charles
            Charles Jones
            http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
            Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Having said all that, how about a glow fish section, or a section for genetically altered fish?
              PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I know I'm a bit off topic maybe on my last post and perhaps I should start a new thread
                Charles Jones

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Originally posted by marauder_77868 View Post
                  I know I'm a bit off topic maybe on my last post and perhaps I should start a new thread
                  I got you to admit something????
                  PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Charles... does this mean you won't be getting in any flowerhorns anytime soon?

Originally posted by marauder_77868 View Post
                    There are so many species, true species, of beautiful fish available, especially cichlids. The VAST majority of Flowerhorns come from the far east. More specifically, they come from the same places that offer the dyed, tattooed, surgically altered, and otherwise mutilated fish that we, as a community, seem to despise. So in a way, when you purchase a Flowerhorn, you're supporting those who would mutiliate other fish in the name of the almighty dollar.
                    I would add, every time you buy a puppy from the pet-store you're probably supporting a puppy-mill:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I think I'd rather buy all the tattooed fish in the world than buy just one pet-store puppy and possibly help keep a puppy-mill open. BTW, next time you think the Amish are innocent, sweet, simple country people, remember that they run most of the puppy mils in the nation, treat ALL the dogs worse than livestock, and kill them the second they are no longer profitable.
                    Last edited by jeebus; 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Puppies, Tattooed fish, hybrids, mutalated.... all one in the same?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Although I do agree on a lot of the points made by Charles it's to each their own.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Didn't Armadillo_Del_Rio just want to know if anyone wanted a flowerhorn section? I think we are getting off topic.
                          Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                            Puppies, Tattooed fish, hybrids, mutalated.... all one in the same?
                            (In the United States) dogs are not considered edible or a livestock. Fish can be classified as either or both.

That's the ultimate difference I see.
                            Last edited by jeebus; 02-20-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I would add, every time you buy a puppy from the pet-store you're probably supporting a puppy-mill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0KucYppXO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km1_h7eGiKU

I think I'd rather buy all the tattooed fish in the world than buy just one pet-store puppy and possibly help keep a puppy-mill open. BTW, next time you think the Amish are innocent, sweet, simple country people, remember that they run most of the puppy mils in the nation, treat ALL the dogs worse than livestock, and kill them the second they are no longer profitable.
                              I agree with most of this .But I have to ask...why bring it up? Something I've learned over the years is that you can't justify something with what you think someone else is doing wrong. Again, I wasn't trying to offend anyone...just educate. Educating on puppy mills is another matter. And he's right...we're getting off topic. I vote NO on the Flowerhorn section.
                              Charles Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X