X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Reputation feature

Hi Again!

This time I have added a user reputation system.

What it's for:
    You can give reputation points to anyone who has helped you out or if you think that person made a great post. You can also take away reputation points when you disagree with a solution someone has provided. Just be sure to back it up in the thread.
    Click on the on the top right of the post to give that person points.

What it's NOT for:
    Do not give all your HFB BFF's points just for the sake of giving points. More importantly, DO NOT take away reputation points just because you don't like another member.

Reputation is shown below your location and post count in any of your posts. The icon is a little square. It will turn green when you have a positive reputation, turn red if you are in the negatives, and will be gray if you have no reputation points. You can view your Reputation points total in your Usercp.

I've tried to anticipate some of the main questions that will come up.

What is reputation?
    Its a system under which your posts can be rated by other fellow members.

How does one get / increase reputation?
    To the right of each member's post is a medal graphic. To show appreciation for a post or the poster, click this icon and you will leave them reputation. You may do so without leaving a message, or you may leave a message to explain why you approve of the post, etc. Reputation comments are not anonymous. The user will be able to see who left them reputation whether a message is typed or not. Do not use the Reputation comment box to harass or flame a member. All board rules apply to reputation comments. If you cannot leave reputation for a member, they have decided to opt out of the Reputation system.

Opting out of the Reputation system:
    To opt out of the reputation system, go to your User Control Panel. Click on the Edit Options link. You will see an option called Show Your Reputation Level. If you wish to receive and give rep, put a checkmark on the show your reputation level box. If you do not want to rep or be repped, make sure that box is unchecked.

Reputation Power explained:
    Your Reputation Power is the number of points you give when you rep someone else, and is calculated as follows:

Your Green (positive) Reputation Power is;

For every 365 number of days, members gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
    For every 1000 number of posts, members gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
    For every 1000 points of reputation, members gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
    Example: Let's say you have 3000 posts, have been registered for just over a year and have a reputation of 1000.
    3000 Posts = 3 Points
    365+ Days = 1 Point
    Reputation of 1000 = 1 point
    In this example, when you click this icon in someone's post, you increase that person's reputation 5 points.

Your Red (negative) repping power is half of your green repping power.

How many posts must I have before my reputation hits count on others? 20
    How much reputation must I have before my reputation hits count on others? 10
    How many different users must I give reputation to before I can hit the same person again? 10
    How many reputation clicks can I give over each 24 hour period? 10

I am new / I have not many reputation points - can I still rep others?
    You can still rep another member, even if your post count is under 20 or your own reputation points under 10. You just can't influence their reputation points.

Each time you rep someone, you have the option to leave a short message. A member will know that you have repped him or her - it just means his or her reputation points will be not be increased (when you have not yet enough reputation alterating power).

How can I see who gave me reputation points?
    In your User CP - at the bottom of the page you can see "Latest Reputation Received". The first column, labeled Thread, shows you for which post in what thread you received the Reputation. The second column tells you what date you received the rep. The third column shows you which member left you the reputation. And the fourth column shows the message they wrote to you, if they chose to write a message.

What do the gray, green, and red bars mean?
    Green bars:
    You were given a positive rep by a member who could add to your reputation points.

Grey bars:
    You were repped by a member who could not add to or deduct from your reputation points.

Red bars:
    You were given a negative rep by a member who could deduct from your reputation points.

When you receive a reputation but you notice the color field is gray instead of green, it does NOT mean that you got negative reputation. It simply means the member who repped you did not have enough reputation altering power.
    (Only members with a post count of 20 and with 10 reputation points can add to another member's reputation)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Most importantly: your reputation points have zero effect on your activities on the forums, so don't take it too seriously. ;))
    Keep it
    0.00%
    Remove it
    50.00%
    I don't care
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by imagirlgeek; 02-16-2009, 03:54 AM.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Nice addition!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Once again, pretty cool Traci!

Comment

Where can we see the rep. comments left to us? Will a box appear in the User CP once we get some points?
        Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

lol- neat.
          Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
          Alexa Rae
          Co-President of CAK
          MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by jeebus View Post
            Where can we see the rep. comments left to us? Will a box appear in the User CP once we get some points?
            How can I see who gave me reputation points?
            In your User CP - at the bottom of the page you can see "Latest Reputation Received". The first column, labeled Thread, shows you for which post in what thread you received the Reputation. The second column tells you what date you received the rep. The third column shows you which member left you the reputation. And the fourth column shows the message they wrote to you, if they chose to write a message.

There won't be anything there until you get some points. :)
            Our Fishhouse

Comment

I don't have the third column that shows the member's name who left the rep. point.
              Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Has anyone added to your reputation? I guess I will have to add to my own reputation to see if it works
                Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Originally posted by jeebus View Post
                  I don't have the third column that shows the member's name who left the rep. point.
                  You should now.
                  Our Fishhouse

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon View Post
                    Has anyone added to your reputation? I guess I will have to add to my own reputation to see if it works
                    I already added to your rep...do you not see it??
                    Our Fishhouse

Comment

Can members have negative Points?
                      Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

Hi Traci,
                        Sorry that I am such a joy killer but in my opinion this is just another triumph of form over the content. I really admire the technical advancement you did with the HFB but the quality of the threads has been sliding down. There is less and less "professional" opinions but definitely more fun stuff. I am probably to old. No offense intended.

Comment

Ah, yes I see clearly now, the rain is gone...

Is there a way to see how many, umm, points a member has, maybe displayed on the medal?

Edit: Oh wait, is that the new green box below my name that says I know how to spell fish?
                          Last edited by szidlon; 02-15-2009, 08:33 PM. Reason: Opened eyes and saw answer, well maybe...
                          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

This reminds me of a site a few years back where you could answer a series of questions and the site gave you your net worth. Many members of the forum came up with some impressive numbers. At the end of the questionnaire it said I owed $1.37.

Mark
                            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Bogdan View Post
                              Hi Traci,
                              Sorry that I am such a joy killer but in my opinion this is just another triumph of form over the content. I really admire the technical advancement you did with the HFB but the quality of the threads has been sliding down. There is less and less "professional" opinions but definitely more fun stuff. I am probably to old. No offense intended.
                              No offense taken. I appreciate your honesty. My intention with this feature is to promote quality posts. Reward people who have offered good information, have quality content, and also have fun doing it. In case this got lost in the huge post of information about this feature, I'll retype it here...

"What it's for:
                              You can give reputation points to anyone who has helped you out or if you think that person made a great post. You can also take away reputation points when you disagree with a solution someone has provided. Just be sure to back it up in the thread.
                              Click on the on the top right of the post to give that person points.

What it's NOT for:
                              Do not give all your HFB BFF's points just for the sake of giving points. More importantly, DO NOT take away reputation points just because you don't like another member."

If it turns out that this feature is not working the way it's expected to, we'll just have to turn it off.

HFB should be both informative AND fun.
                              Our Fishhouse

Comment

Working...
                              X