Tetra Tragedy :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetra Tragedy :(

Hey guys. So as the headline says I had a terrible thing happen today when I got home from the weekend. I left Thursday afternoon last week on my way to the Woodlands as I normally do.

From there James and I flew to California to start the mission of bringing back his parents minivan, a 1700 mile journey. Many of you know he rolled his explorer before the Christmas party this past year. This was to be the replacement vehicle for the time being. The weekend went by splendidly from the start however it ended with horror.

We made it back to Houston after 25 hours of nearly nonstop driving, pulling in around 3:00p today. We napped and then headed on to College Station to pick up James' dog. Upon our arrival we chatted and everything seemed normal.

I rose to go look at my main aquarium and noticed something terribly wrong. ALL of my bleeding heart tetras were dead. Floating at the surface with the tide while being tossed about flippantly. Not just them, but my black phantoms were gone, as well as my hybrids. A total of 12 casualties.

The ironic thing is that my original concern was about the blood fins. All were accounted for except one whom had also died.

I couldn't look for more than a few seconds as I got very upset and went upstairs to mourn my fish. Thankfully James was with me and helped me deal with the remains and the survivors.

After looking over the dead and the living he noticed the white spots of death. Ick. Severe cases of it. Somehow while I was gone an Ick outbreak had taken the lives of my favorite fish, my original fish who had brought me to love the hobby.

I'm flabbergasted at how it happened. I only bought my fish from reputable stores. The most recent ones added are still around, my Von Rio Tetras from Fish Gallery. I'm wondering if they are possibly responsible or if I just somehow missed an infection and it got out of hand.

I do weekly changes on my tank and am always careful when introducing new life there as well. The levels showed fine despite a little bit of a nitrate spike. James and I have started to treat the tank with salt and will be monitoring the other inhabitants closer.

I'm very beside myself for this happening. I had my bleeding hearts over a year, it doesn't seem too long but was very important to me. It's a sad day for me, I hope we can get the infection cleared up without losing anyone else.

There is one phantom left, she is very badly infected. I don't know if she'll make a comeback or not. How hard is it to completely eradicate this horrible parasite? James had me read a good website however other first hand accounts would be deeply appreciated.

I'm concerned about treating my Australian Lobster too due to taking some nerites from my community and putting them in with him. If it's even possible for that to pass it along to crustaceans.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

I won't pretend to offer any medical advice, only to try raising the temp to around the lower 80ties....add some salt perhaps....

But I mostly just want to say, how much I feel for your loss.....when you get back on your feet (tank wise) come see me and I'll give you a pair of my "lucky" phantoms. Maybe they can keep the nasty germs away.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Ich is actually a protozoa called Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. There are three phases to the life cycle of this protozoa.

Adult phase – The white spots you call ick are like a tick, embedded in the skin or gills of the fish, sucking blood cells and skin cells. After a few days like a fat tick, drops off.

Cyst phase – The fattened parasite falls to the bottom forming a cyst and divides into many little icks.

Free swimming phase – Thousands of little icks are released from the cyst and go hunting a new host. (they will die if no host / food is found within 3 days) Once a host is found the cycle starts over.

The Ick life cycle is temperature dependant.
      4 weeks at 70F but only 4 days at 85F
      Adult Ick will drop off and become free swimming at 85F

This is important because you can only kill the little boogers when they are free swimming. Kill them with any of the following:

Salt
      Coppersafe
      Quick-Cure
      Ich-Ease
      Aquari-sol
      Cure-Ick
      Aquarisol
      BettaZing
      Quinine sulphate
      quinine hydrochloride

Most commercial remedies contain malachite green and/or copper.
      Malachite green will stain the plastic and silicone in the aquarium

*** CAUTION ***
      Not all medications are suitable for all fish.
      Become aware of what Temperature & meds the fish in your tank can & cannot tolorate.
      Read the manufacturers instructions and carefully follow the recomended dosages. Do not dispose of medical chemicals pubilic water ways.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Nice post PP....Thanks

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

sorry for your loss, ick is very persistent sometimes, hope things turn around for you, i don't have any additional treatment suggestions
          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

Good advice and info!!!

ghostagirl1:

I feel your pain! I had a massive die off right after I got back into the hobby 6-7 years back. I was kinna getting back into keeping with a 55 and didn't know some of the beginner "faux pas" and added too many fish at one time.

My heart goes out to you.
            Thanks,
            AndrewH

"If people would focus on the important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Planted 33 gallon
            Planted 55 gallon
            Planted 90 gallon

Comment

Hmm interesting. Well guys, this morning my last phantom had died. The count is at 13. I will add more salt this afternoon to try to kill these things. If all else fails I will set up a super aquarium for my one aussie lobster.
              Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Comment

Working...
              X