Freshwater Prawns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater Prawns?

Has anyone come across these in the wild or kept them in aquaria?

Texas has four native species: Macrobrachium acanthurus (with very long and thin claws), M. ohione (the most nondescript, rather like an overgrown ghost shrimp), M. olfersii (noticeably asymmetrical claws), and M. carcinus (the famous lobster-like giant). There are apparently also some poorly-documented populations of introduced M. rosenbergii (Malaysian giant river prawn).

As for me, I have experience with M. carcinus from Puerto Rico and the San Marcos River as well as a number of other species from the Caribbean, South America, and South or Southeast Asia.
    Last edited by genghisprawn; 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM.
    Interested in crustacean biology? Visit Amphidrome!

I saw a news case several moons back about a Prawn (course they called them freshwater shrimp) farmer in Northern Texas. Seems they would prawn farm them (like a catfish farm) and harvest them once a year or so (which they were in the middle of harvesting them on the news story).

Didn't provide much info, but I have "heard" about them.

I assume they'll get pretty large? What are their tank requirements... again I'd assume large tank with fast flowing water and smooth round rock substrate (river biotope)?
    Last edited by andrewh; 02-09-2009, 06:03 PM.
    Thanks,
    AndrewH

"If people would focus on the important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Planted 33 gallon
    Planted 55 gallon
    Planted 90 gallon

Comment

Braes Bayou @ 610 and the bayou (dunno name) that runs under woodway @ N Post Oak. I've caught prawns in both places with a crawfish or minnow trap.

Just have a good answer ready for anyone who asks you wth you are doing in the bayou.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

so what is the difference between a prawn and a crawfish? Any pics?

Comment

Are you going to put them in your aquarium or....
          Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
          Alexa Rae
          Co-President of CAK
          MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

prawns are totally different from crawfish . Prawns are big shrimp, crawfish is mud bugs or crayfish

Comment

Originally posted by andrewh View Post
              I saw a news case several moons back about a Prawn (course they called them freshwater shrimp) farmer in Northern Texas.
              Yes, those would be the Malaysian prawns (M. rosenbergii).

Originally posted by andrewh View Post
              I assume they'll get pretty large? What are their tank requirements... again I'd assume large tank with fast flowing water and smooth round rock substrate (river biotope)?
              The smallest of the species I've mentioned (M. ohione and M. olfersii) reach just 3 inches or so in length, but M. carcinus can push 2 feet.

Good unidirectional current (like a powerhead) can't hurt, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. Sand has worked fine for me, but PVC pipes or some other form of cover are necessary to give a sense of security. Pretty much any kind of appropriately-sized processed food will be taken, and feeder fish and snails are readily accepted. Vegetable matter may be necessary for proper molting.

Here are some photos of an M. carcinus that I've kept:

Comment

I had a prawn, it grew amazingly fast and killed and ate everything in the tank until there was nothing left but itself. It needs to be kept in a tank by itself IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by nacra99 View Post
                  Braes Bayou @ 610 and the bayou (dunno name) that runs under woodway @ N Post Oak. I've caught prawns in both places with a crawfish or minnow trap.

Just have a good answer ready for anyone who asks you wth you are doing in the bayou.
                  That would be buffalo bayou. I walk my dog down to a section of it about 4 miles west of there a few times a week. Simply tell them to show some ID and they will leave quickly.

Comment

Mann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!my uncle and i used togo fishing for M. carcinus back home in Puerto Rico.good eats.lol ive heard tht theyve been introduced into texas waters any1 know wer? i would love togo fishing for some again...
                    And it begins...

Comment

I realized that I never explained why I was inquiring after these prawns: I've been researching the phylogeny of this group as an undergraduate member of the Giribet lab

As it turns out, I'll be briefly returning to Texas within the next two weeks to collect native Macrobrachium for genetic analysis as well as to confirm the presence of the introduced M. rosenbergii (which would be a new state record).

I'll probably be splitting my time between Corpus Christi and Houston, so it would be great if anyone could confirm that the M. rosenbergii is still being found in Buffalo Bayou. I've been to San Marcos, but if you know of any other localities where Macrobrachium are being found, please let me know.

Thanks!

@ DiscusKid: M. carcinus is native to Texas, btw.
                      Last edited by genghisprawn; 03-09-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

There was a guy who was raising rosenbergii in Leona, Texas. Having seen the way he harvested, I can guarantee you that there was some introduction into the local waterways. That having been said, I don't know if the place still exists. I'll try to research it a bit and see if I can come up with more info.
                        Charles Jones
                        http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                        Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

There used to be freshwater prawns in the Colorado river near Bay City, but they were supposedly fished to extinction because they were so good to eat?? As far as eating them I would think twice about actually eating ANYTHING that came from either Braes or Buffalo Bayou.
                          Have Net Will Travel

Comment

For logistical reasons, the trip has been pushed forward to mid-May/early June, but I'm still set on visiting the two sites. I heard that Hurricane Ike did quite a number on Buffalo Bayou, so it would be great to hear any post-2008 reports of M. rosenbergii from the area.

Originally posted by marauder_77868 View Post
                            There was a guy who was raising rosenbergii in Leona, Texas. Having seen the way he harvested, I can guarantee you that there was some introduction into the local waterways. That having been said, I don't know if the place still exists. I'll try to research it a bit and see if I can come up with more info.
                            Thanks, marauder. I'd appreciate it.

Comment

I had 2 Macrobrachium acanthurus. I bought them from extreme pets and fish about 2 months ago. One of them got out of the tank and my dog ate it. The second on is doing fine. It lives with 4 gold fish in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I plan to put the fish and the shrimp in my gadred pond when the weather warms.

Comment

Working...
                              X