things i learned keeping flowerhorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things i learned keeping flowerhorns

i got my hands on some fry from ohboitony a while back, and im still growing out the ones from the second batch. heres what i learned...

1: if you want to raise fh from babies, get a bunch of em... when they are young, you really cant tell what theyre gonna look like. try picking your favorite 5-6 at a time and grow them out. i have one real nice one out out my first batch

2: have space!!! i started growing out in a 75 gallon... kept about 12 juvies in there and it was all good... then my favorite, which was also the biggest, became the bully of the tank. these guys are aggressive, but i figured they had enough room... once the bully hit about 2.5-3 inches, he killed number 2 and 3, which were the next best looking ones.dang. at 3 inches, the ones you really like need to be kept alone. they will grow big eventually

3: solitary confinement.. i was really ticked when i watched 2 awesome fish get beat to death by their brother, so i moved the offender to his own 40 gal bowfront. WOW.!!! as soon as he got in there, i noticed his color go off the chart! even tho im sure he was stressed, it was a huge improvement... same with his 4th brother. dont know why, but it happens... main thing is, if you have a real nice fish, you dont want to risk anything happening to it

care, set-ups, etc...
    good tank mates are similar sized sa/ca cichlids when young, and mine are kept with plecos... plecos are usually ignored, but sometimes harrassed a little... never had one killed tho.
    blue backgrounds worked really well for me, as did blue(mainly) gravel.. makes the red come out more/more intense.
    taking care of these is like taking care of oscars.. better water quality=better fish... flowerhorns are pretty tough fish, and i think are ok for beginners.
    go ahead and overfilter... all fish love it
    my only experience with special food is alife, which i got at city pets... i like it, after a month or so the reds and pinks are deeper/ brighter...
    these fish do have personality, which is why i compare them to oscars.
    pics coming soon! enjoy

we feed ours grand sumo, fast color, bloodworms, and market shrimp. I find that the more variety they have, the better their colors and bigger the koks are. That and they really love the bloodworms and shrimp!

All of mine have eventually killed the pleco in their tank which makes controlling algae a bit of a challenge. I think fhs are one of the best fish to keep, they have so much personality and are really entertaining to watch. The only downside is they are so aggressive (and expensive) you can only keep one in a tank. Takes up a lot of space!

Comment

When I have flowerhorn problems I just yell across the house.
      Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

ive heard that variety feeding is the best for the fish, but i havent done it yet. where to get grand sumo locally??? nothin but good feedback on the product...

Comment

no one in town supplies it. I keept trying to get Troung over at Xtreme to be a local supplier but he's happy selling Alife and Fast Color. I just ordered it from their website, got the biggiest size possible. I think it was around $40 bucks after shipping. Not bad, they all liked it right away.

Comment

hey put some pics up of your fhs and your friend's red texas!

Comment

i really need to... but i dont have a camera... i got a cell phone cam, ill try that

Comment

That Grand Sumo Red has some nice ingredients
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

let me know if anybody wants to order some grand sumo, I could use some more

Comment

When do you plan on ordering?
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

im in

Comment

no rush, I was just going to stock up. I order direct from their US website www.grandsumousa.com. I believe its $34.95 for the 550g Grand Sumo Red and same price for the regular 550g Grand Sumo. Kinda expensive but I feed my guys a variety so the grand sumo last a bit longer. For some reason when you click on other sizes on the website, its not letting you add it to your cart.

If I remember correctly they ship by USPS.
                        1 item = $10 shipping
                        2 - 3 item = $15 shipping
                        4-35+ items = $35 shipping

and I don't know where the next cutoff on shipping is but I don't see anybody ordering more than 35!

wait, if I go on flowerhornonline.com and order the grand sumo from there I can get different sizes!
                        Last edited by Kiovo; 02-14-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

i found it cheaper on aquaticwonderland.com
                          $16 for 250g red/original and $27 for 550g red/original

Comment

Does this grand sumo red, help bring out the red color in flowerhorn fish?

Comment

yeah, everyone ive met online swears by grand sume and chingmix... probeta sposed to be good too. ive had really good results with alife, the only fh food i found in town
                              Last edited by jisatsuguy; 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X