Sand and filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand and filters

I have never been a fish person before and always have care more about aquatic plants for the most part; lately since the Drs. that I work for seem to have a fascination for fish they decided to get a “fish tank” for the office (aside of the other 4 planted tanks we already have) So I went ahead and set up a tank for Discus after talking to Daniel (HAW) he pretty much told me the basics and got 7 awesome blue big discus at first it was difficult to understand the water changes but since I am a planted aquarium guy it was never a big deal, the fish double up in size in 5 months and then Ike hit Houston.
    After two day without electricity the fish were rescued by the Drs. Father which he foster them but also learned to love them so we decided to give the fish to him.
    Having already 7 why not add more right? so we got 3 more every time he had the chance to talk to me about his fish he will make remarks about his fish and how gentle they where.
    Last week he told me if I could look after his fish since he was on his way to a 3 week vacation and I said yes.
    His son also a Dr. is doing the feeding since he lives there and I just go there to WC and inspect for any possible trouble. I was there last Wednesday and they look happy and fat.
    Saturday helping yet another friend to set up a planted aquarium; I got a phone call from his son telling me that the fish died!
    I ask what happen surprised and upset at the same time and then he said he did not know but they smell bad! Then he asks me what could he possibly do and I just drove to his house.
    My original 7 have died at list 20 hours ago!! The stench of necrotic fish could be smelled from down stairs the water was completely white like milk and small worms were every where.
    I soon took them out and to my surprised the other 3 fish are bunched up in a corner breading still!
    I ran the water thru a carbon filter and drain the tank several times to get rid off the worms best I could and clean the filters and is only then that I realize that the filter trapped sand in the impeller chamber and therefore got stock.
    Sand and Discus is in my opinion not a good match! I assume the fish got scared by the new face feeding them so they trashed around the tank as they do when scared, suspending sand all over the place and into the filter the rest you already know.
    I am deeply sorry for this incident specially because is a friend how ask me to look after his fish and boy is he up for a nasty surprise.
    Best regards,
    Luis

Sad story...glad to hear some fish survived. I was just telling someone yesterday about sand and the intake tube....my recomendation was to raise the intake strainer a foot above the sand....

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Thank you! That's actually what I did, until I remove the sand from the tank.
      Regards,
      Luis

Comment

Luis,

How much water did you change? If 3 fish were living and the other 7 dead, I cannot understand...

If it was really water related, why then did not all of them die?...unless it was a Ammonia spike..Nitrite?

Stupid Question, but you did use water conditioner? Others I know have forgotten before..

Unless something was in the sand that you did as a Waterchange, that your friend never did before. MAybee he never vaccumed the sand before, and you did?

Strange and sad...

Hope for the best on the last 3
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Something to think about is the tank was running for several months with Sand in there. Maybee its not the sand in the filter was the problem.

The fish as they were flailing around in the tank most likely stirred up the sand so much...who knows...
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

that is very sad to hear about the loss. i have a stupid question Luis...
            if the son lived there then why didn't he notice something in the tank was wrong long before the fish were all dead and rotting with worms?....
            it's very strange to me because my discus don't mind a new face feeding them....i let the Karen's feed my discus just a week or so ago to show them how gentle they are....i have sand in my tank....oh i guess i'm grasping at straws....it just doesn't make any sense to me.....

but again.....sorry about the loss.....

Comment

Actually the incident happen many hours before I could have done anything and these fish have always freak out when you get close to the tank and this is actually the reason why we got more so they will feel secure in large numbers.
              I used a carbon filter and safe as I was changing the water so technically the fish did not breathe any chlorine and the reason I did such a thing was to clean up since most of the fish died, I also add bacteria to “seed” the filter again.
              There was sand inside the impeller chamber so it couldn’t rotate, so I am 100% sure this is the reason of the malfunction, it is not my tank otherwise I should have used a large canister instead of a HOB filter.
              3 survived and they are eating again, they do have ammonia burns on their fins and gills I can tell but they have not gone black; I have been told that when they dark their skin is hard to bring them back again.
              I will take a picture tomorrow so you can evaluate the damage, as far as asking his son for help its difficult he is an MD and he hardly has any time to feed them let alone that he works entire days at the time the reason he called is because he saw a bunch of dead fish.
              No matter what my concern is to make the fish better so he has at list something when he comes back.
              Regards,
              Luis

Comment

I can tell you from first hand that when something goes wrong in a Discus tank it will spiral out of control real fast. My discus got what I think is gill disease the first one on Friday and by Monday morning I lost 4 now and one looks bad but looks like it got better this morning then it did Monday night.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Sorry to hear about the Discus, Navarro. It's bad enough to lose your own fish, but when you're taking care of someone else's fish it feels even worse!

Darbex- so sorry to hear about yours too. I so want a discus tank, but I don't know if I can deal with their sensitivity. The one's I want at HAW are like $45 each, and I wanted to get around 4 or 5. That would cost me $225 if I lost them......

Anyway, I know it's not just the money- losing that many fish is a bit disheartening.....

Comment

Horrible!

Knowing how you are with aquatic life this had to have been a freak accident.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Bummer! What kind of sand is in the tank?

I always try to have 2 filters on my tanks... just in case one fails, the tank wont be totally without filtration.

Comment

Working...
                      X