Discus tankmates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus tankmates

Give your suggestions for good discus tank mates. These are the fish I'd like to have with them...

Rams (small harem)
    Cardinal tetras
    Panda cories
    ABNs

I'd love to have a couple of golden weather loaches, but my understanding is they prefer cool water.
    Karen

The tankmates you listed will work...not sure about the panda cories. I think Sterbai cories can take the higher temps if pandas can't. Kuhli loaches, rasbora hets and green fire tetras will also do well in a discus tank. My 125 discus tank also has Amano shrimp and blue neocardinia shrimp in it.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I have some Virginae cories in mine and they are doing fine with the temp. Great appetites and busy little guys.
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

for the algae control I have ottos a couple of very small plecos... All those guys are doing a very good job for me.

Comment

i would be careful about ottos with discus, i have read that if ottos get the taste of discus slimecoat they suck the slime and create marks or legions on discus
          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

I have seen that the Ottos rumor seems to be just that. I have Ottos in mine and I know a few people who have had ottos in theres with no problems. The ones you should worry about are the SAE's
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I had a group of ottos that just glued themselves to the side of my discus and ate the slime coat. The discus looked like broncos trying to throw a rider. I moved the ottos to another tank. (I had kept ottos with discus before without a problem).

Terry

Comment

I had 4 ottos in my 125, but 2 got a taste of the slime coat and wouldn't leave the discus alone. Watching the discus bucking and twisting was not a good thing....Ottos had to go.

It is NO rumor lol

Comment

i havent had luck with corys and my discus, they havent done well with the temp in my tank. my tank has cardinals rams and a small synodontis to clean up along the bottom with a bunch of plecos

Comment

Working...
                  X