Tropheus Chipimbi - Spit Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropheus Chipimbi - Spit Babies

I just had babies!!! 10 of them. For some reason the mother spit them in the tank when they still had part of the eggs on them. They are so little but she was being attacked by my Ilangi male.

I was able to save 9 of them and put them in a breeding area. It looks so odd with the babies attached to a egg. Swimming around and then falling, sleeping, and continuing the same process.
    Last edited by geoff_tropheus; 01-27-2009, 09:21 AM. Reason: More Descriptive Title for search

super cool!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

One of my Chimba's did the same thing last summer....none of the babies made it though.....better luck with yours...

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubbies View Post
        I just had babies!!! 10 of them. For some reason the mother spit them in the tank when they still had part of the eggs on them. They are so little but she was being attacked by my Ilangi male.

I was able to save 9 of them and put them in a breeding area. It looks so odd with the babies attached to a egg. Swimming around and then falling, sleeping, and continuing the same process.
        If they are swiming around they will probably be ok, it is when they have a lot of their yolk sac and not free swimming that they need to be put in an egg tumbler.
        150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
        125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
        115G Tanganyikan

Comment

where do i get an egg tumbler?

Comment

I am not sure, but I think you can use a air stone and a old style cotton filter box for a temporary one....you just need to keep them from settling....

This is just my belief....i could be wrong....lets hope more experienced boxers add their input soon....

Again...Good Luck

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I have had to rig on..... pythong tube with net wrapped around the bottom and airstone through the top...use the green python attachment for the tube to help increase the flow.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

AWesome little guys, about the only times they spit at this size is becuase of some kind of stress.

Usually they all get eaten before they can be netted out, atleast in my case.

Hopefully they will make it on their own. You got them isolated right?
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Originally posted by Cubbies View Post
                  where do i get an egg tumbler?
                  I made one from an undergravel filter uplift tube. I took and uplift tube and capped it with piece that goes on top to hold the airstone (and keep fish out). I put an airstone in the tube just like you would to run the ug filter. For the bottom end of the uplift tube, I cut a small piece of a sponge to hold the eggs and also also allow water to flow in. I will try and post a pic this evening.
                  150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                  125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
                  115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Yes they are really sweet looking. Day 3 and 9 of them are still alive. I just ended up taking my underwater fan and pointing it at them with an air stone in there and they move around quite a bit. They are very awesome.

I did isolate them into a breeding cage. I pretty much witnessed her spit them out so I had the net in hand getting them while she was defending the poor little guys

Comment

Tropheus moms are something else..
                      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Did you wait to see if the mom would pick them back up?

I had a female pick eggs back up before.... would give up watching the mothers raise their young for nothing!
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

No I was afraid that the other fish would eat them.

Comment

if you cant get nothing to work,jhemco has egg tumblers,but they are 25.00.they work really good though.i have one.
                            petro crazy!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X