I want some opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want some opinions

i have decided to pickup either a True Red Devil or a True Midas.
    i have never kept pure devils or pure midas, just the Commom LFS Red Devil x Midas Crosses.
    so i would like everyones opion on which i should get.
    Take The Poll!
    True Red Devil
    35.29%
    True Midas
    64.71%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by TaTeR ToT; 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM.
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

I think you should go with the Devil. It just sounds more hardcore.
    If it ain't wild caught
    You ain't doing it right

Comment

I myself, would not keep either, unless I was requested to keep one as a favor to a friend. From what I know of them, they require a whole tank to themselves for the most part and are aggressive meat eaters who have little if any character, aside from killing other fish. On the up side, Both can be very beautiful fish though.

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I disagree about the character part. Red Devil can be a really cool and interesting fish. I had some for a long time. They just get pretty big and can't really keep much else with them.
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

Originally posted by rrocket2002 View Post
          I disagree about the character part. Red Devil can be a really cool and interesting fish. I had some for a long time. They just get pretty big and can't really keep much else with them.

I'm sure Raul is correct, I've never kept one myself and am only commenting from my past observations of those poor unwanted larger adults that have been returned to the local fish stores.

I'm sure they would be much happier and display a great deal more character if they where kept by someone who showed them some love...

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

i have kept several breeding pairs and single adults.
            they have more personlity than an oscar in my opinion.
            it will be kept by itself in my 75g.
            the big adults you see in lfs that have been returned are usually the ones bought by "pardon this' ignorant people who didnt properly research the animal before they purchased it, and listened to the lfs help who in reality are just trying to make money.
            they are extremly aggressive.
            and ontop of that one of the most territorial fish i have ever seen.
            9 out of 10 of the rd's or midas i have kept wouldnt even let me put my hand in their tank, without ripping it up, i even made a plexiglass divider, so i could put the red devil or midas on one end of the tank and clean the other end, and then visea versa.
            if i dint, i would come out bleeding, lol.

heres a video of a friend i talk to onlines 13" male midas viciously attacking his hand

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

I vote Midas!
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

After watching that video, I can see what may have turned EK into a fish thumper..... :)

CF

Comment

Cool vid! That fish ain't skeered at all.

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

thats how my last male was, they aint scared a nothin',
                    heres a pic of him he was 9"TL in this pic

FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Do they ever actually get red or is dark orange as good as it gets...?

CF

Comment

they never actually get red, the one in my photo is very brightly colored, he was really orange.
                        i fed him
                        Whole Frozen Krill
                        Whole Frozen Silversides
                        Frozen Bloodworms
                        Frozen Mysis Shrimp
                        Frozen Brine Shrimp
                        Frozen Beefheart
                        New Life Spectrum Jumbo Fish Formula
                        Tetra Cichlid Sticks
                        Hikari Bio-Gold
                        Live Earthworms
                        Live Red Wriggler Worms
                        Live Meal Worms
                        and Live Crickets
                        i give my fish a very varied diet.
                        but never any feeders.
                        FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

As a avid keeper of both, I prefer the RD over the Barred Midas which is the true Midas b/c of the aggression level...besides the fact that the RD just looks better. My 200 is full of Midas (the orange morph b/c the barred couldn't cut it), RDs, a breeding pair of Jack Dempseys, a breeding pair of Dovii, a breeding pair of Jaguars, and a couple miscellaneous fish. I have no issues...on occassion they will get at each other, but 97% of the time no problems...other than them splashing you w/ water when feeding. I think that would hint at character. My girlfriend on occassion wil feed them feeders, but they have been/maintained on Hikari products. So it really all on you. They will fight...dig pits...rearrange your tank. But they also recognize who feeds them, cleans the tank, and can get along w/ their tankmates. Matter of fact, let me try to post a few pix:

Midas

RD female (far left) w/ 2 male Midas

More Midas...Red Devils at the bottom

Comment

You can tell the diff. between the RDs and Midas

King Midas (male, approx. 12" maybe)

The Big Bang (200 gals.) w/o the canopy.

Comment

One of my male Dovii (maybe 11") His name is Face.

My other male Dovii (maybe 8")

Comment

Working...
                              X