Brain damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain damage

I dont know if this is what happened but I would only guess. If anyone read my discus post i had gotten some fish and it was like the whole area went airless. The tank had a lack of oxygen which I dont understand why and the bags that the new fish were in had the same problem. But anyways thats not what this is about. Well everyone seems to have made it through the ordeal. But one of the rams seems to have lost his motor skills. He can glide but he can not swim. The last two days he has been sitting on the bottom and will kind of hop to a new place if he wants. This morning I saw him trying to swim but he will swim straight up and will keep going never making it to the top then gets tired and slowly sinks to the bottom only to repeat a few minutes later. I guess it is promising that he is trying but I am wondering if there is anything I can do has anyone ever experienced this?
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Re: Brain damage

Sounds like a swim bladder problem.
    Usually due to a blockage in the gut due to eating too much or eating bad food (gas).
    May go away on it's own if you stop feeding him, but many people recomend fiber in the food. (ie smashed peas / green beans)
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

+1

If he / she doesn't look like he has any un-natural bumps, swellings or any other exterior signs of inflammation, then most of the time (as PP said) is's a blockage somewhere.

Epsom salt might help him purge the wayward piece of poo.

this might be good reading also...
      http://article.discusnews.com/cat-02/swimblader.shtml
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

My only question though is when he was in the bag he had no problems swimming it was only after the lack of oxygen that this began to happen. You still think this has to be a blockage? Also he has not outward signs of problems. Ie. no bumps boils, he has all of his colors. Just acting like a dee dee dee.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

well, sounds like yah gots a tard on yer hands
          FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

in all seriousness, it does sound like a blockage, or maybe the lack of oxegyn caused the swim bladder to mess up, it might correct itself in a few days.
            hard to say :?
            FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

I read the article it is interesting. I am thinking that like a human that goes a prolonged period without oxygen you may loose some of your motor functions because basically part of the brain dies. In a lot of cases the functions can be re-learned. So my theory is the same for this guy that the prolonged lack of oxygen damaged his ability to fill his swim bladder and not allowing him to swim normally and that he either will re-learn or will never swim normally. But like always I could be wrong but since it only happened after the whole mishap that is the only thing I can think of because he hasnt eaten since I got him.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

sounds realonable to me.
                hopefullay the little dude recovers :)
                FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Working...
                X