Hybrid cichlids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid cichlids

I was just wondering what everyone thought about hybrid ca/sa cichlids.  The reason I'm asking is that my ol' lady and I have been having several conversations lately about it.  Basically, the consensus between us is that if the fish breed together on their own (like flowerhorns) then it's not morally objectionable.  But if they are "squeeze" bred (like parrots) then it is.  Which leads me to 3 questions.  1) How does everyone on fishbox feel about the topic?   2) Which of my cichlids listed below would be able to interbreed together?  &3) what hybrids (bsides FH's and BP's) does any one here have?

Here's what I have
    Males: Jack Dempsey
             Texas
             Honduran Red Point

Females: Jaguar
                 Dovii

Unknown: Oscar

What sayeth thee oh great box o' fish?

I'm really looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks about this as it's a subject I've wondered about for a couple years now.
    ‎Haiku's are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

Re: Hybrid cichlids

I dont know about what will breed with what. But my opinion is the same as yours. If they breed then thats fine but if it is engineered like parrots then I am not ok.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

All of my bettas are hybrids.
      Breeders have worked to produce a better betta for centuries.
      Better fighters, more color, bigger size, metallic colors , longer fins, and wider fins.
      Farmers & ranchers have been doing it since animal husbandry began.  
      Now the Scientists are doing it.  
      That’s the underlying reason to prevent extinction of any species.  
      The scientists don't want to loose genes that may prove useful at some future date.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
        All of my bettas are hybrids.
        Breeders have worked to produce a better betta for centuries.
        Better fighters, more color, bigger size, metallic colors , longer fins, and wider fins.
        Farmers & ranchers have been doing it since animal husbandry began.  
        Now the Scientists are doing it.  
        That’s the underlying reason to prevent extinction of any species.  
        The scientists don't want to loose genes that may prove useful at some future date.
        I don't really know too much about bettas but naturally selctive breeding has been has been around since there's been animal domestication.
        ‎Haiku's are easy
        Refrigerator

Comment

Steve...unless push came to shove and rub came to scrub, I don't think any of your fish would pair up and mate. But stranger things has happen. For instance, I've heard of and seen fry pix of a Firemouth hooking up w/ a Convict.

As far as the ethical perspective of the subject, I'm not bothered by either way by hybrids or the creation of such. Some people really get on a soapbox behind it   , but it's not that serious to me . If you don't like it, then don't buy it. I'm mainly into SA/CA which includes F-horns...and unfortunately Blood Parrots  :bslame:. I just think BP's are ugly fish, so I don't really rock w/ them like that. But I do like the F-Horns, and I know that a vast majority of them are "frankensteined" - same as the Blood Parrots. So it's like...if I cast my vote for the F-Horns, then I have to understand that my vote is also in favor of the BP's, those lil' Glofish, the " I Love You" fish, etc...none of which I like or find ease in appreciating their beauty. So I don't buy them b/c there's really no interest. Now, that's not to say I'm okay w/ man exercising his God complex b/c I'm not!!! I'm just saying that it comes w/ the territory, so if a person is against 1 aspect of it then they should make a move against all of it. Eliminate the seemingly apparent double-standard...which won't happen b/c we all like what we like.

I have a couple of diff. hybrids myself. I've X'ed a female Trimac w/ a male Red Devil; the same female Trimac w/ a male Carpintas (Texas); I still have a handful of offspring from a large Trimac male I had (affectionly named Frankenstein b/c he was large and green) and a female Red Devil; I have a large Dovii who has paired up w/ a female Red motaguensis and I'm waited for them to drop another clutch. I missed the 1st batch of fry due to me draggin' *** to take them out of the tank. In the past I've had what I call "Mi-Devils" b/c they were a X between a Red Devil and a Midas.

Comment

i have had a fm female breed with my male Black con, they are pretty common, i have had a fmcon hybrid.
            thats not that hard to believe, i had guy i used to buy rd's from, he had a Mesonata Festivum pair up with a Male Archocentrus Sajica, and breed.
            the eggs did not hatch, they were incompatable, but still very unusual.
            any SA/Ca cichlids can  breed, whether or not the eggs will devolope is the ?
            i have had a male salvini pair up with a small female festae.
            im with soullja, if you like 1 hybrid, u have to like them all. u cant say im against bp's and say oh i love fh's.
            cause the best fh's are made almost the same way as bp's.
            FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

also, glo-fish, they are not hybrids, but are small danio's . they take danio eggs, and microspically infuse jellyfish chromisomes ie; the gene that makes them glo, into the egg of the danio, and thus you get glo fish.
              FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

origanally the glo-fish were used as a science experiment to see the development of internal organs, and when viewed by the public, they were an instant hit.
                FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

I hate them too
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

It's not so much the individual species I have a prob w/ but the methods used to engineer them.  Although I can admit that I am still somewhat ignorant on the concept of fish breeding, as I have never had anything but guppies spawn in my tanks.  I guess my prob with parrots is the fact that they look so darn malformed and akward, their mouths don't even close all the way, but I guess if that is how you were born then you really wouldn't know it was strange.  II am picking pu a pair of female pink convicts to try and breed w/ my honduran redpoint.  They are both a type of convict so it would seem that it would work.  My guess is that it would create a purple convict, but then again I'm no geneticist.  I've also seen a convict/texas cross, that looked pretty cool.  Does anyone here breed or know of someone who breeds first strain flowerhorns (i.e. the 2 diff. cichlids it takes to make the FH)?  I've seen peioke who breed them, but never anyone who starts a strain.
                    ‎Haiku's are easy
                    Refrigerator

Comment

Thanks for the clairification on the Glofish Earth.

Steve...as far as the F-Horns go...a Trimac is used for the spots (aka "flowers") and the morph. Red Devil, Midas, and/or Plumhead (aka Synspilum) is also used for morph, in addition to the large lump on the head (which is referred to as Kok).
                      ***NOTE: PLEASE IGNORE THE OBVIOUS PREMISE FOR SEXUAL JOKES HERE***  :shhh:  :naughty: Now back to our program already in progress...The Plumhead on the other hand won't really contribute to the Kok trait, but offers the potential for a wide range of colors. One of these combinations will give you what I call a "base" F-Horn. But it's always possible for this "base" to come out much more than a base. It may actually be pretty decent. So from this point, you would be X-breeding for individual traits (i.e. a bigger kok, greater color variation, more stout morph, etc...)

When I've played Mad Scientist, I've gotten a couple of nice ones. And other times, it's just been base specimens...nothing to fancy, most all golden orange like a Red Devil with the ruby-colored throat of a Trimac. I still have 3 or 4 of those about 6"- 8", all females I think.

Comment

try going to youtube and searching "hybrid cichlid" you'll see some some really awesome looking hybrid cichlids there.  somethings that i wouldn't have thought to cross but they look really good
                        ‎Haiku's are easy
                        Refrigerator

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex";p="
                          I hate them too
                          You hate a lot of things.

My feeling is this:

Hybrid fish need love to. It's not their fault they are.  
                          PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
                          X