My Angelfish is a Lady-killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Angelfish is a Lady-killer

I have an all black angelfish that has been by himself since an accident where I killed off his mate.  I bought a new angelfish that is a black hybrid and not quite an adult.  I put it in the tank and all my adult male did was beat the hell out of the poor little girl.  I moved it to another tank.  Is this guy ever going to be able to have other angelfish in the tank again?  He is in a 36gal. planted and I am hoping to upgrade to a 120gal. which might help, but I've had multiple angelfish in this tank before.

[title edited by jr]

Re: My Angelfish is an A-Hole

Cichlids will be chichlids no matter what.  It's been my experience that the black angels are the most aggressive.  Is the newcomer about the same size as the other?  Angels will do well in groups, a pair will do well with just the two, as long as they still like each other.  How long did you give them to adjust to each other, do you have plenty of cover for them to take refuge?  Are there any other fish in their with them?
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I think the key is you put her in HIS TANK .  Male chiclids claim teritory and she was invading his.
      You need to put him in HER Tank or at least put them both in a new tank.

Take him out, rearrange everything and then put them back in.  Her first.  (but wait until her wounds heal)  
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I know this might be difficult with a planted tank. But it worked wonders on my Malawi cichlid. I would try moving a couple things around in the evening then put the fish both in the tank and cover the tank with blanket over night to make sure no light gets in immediately after moving things around. So in the morning he will notice that he is in a new place and has a fish in there already and hopefully will not think it is his place. The reason I say night as not to disrupt the light the plants get naturally or changing the timers on the light system.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

All this is good to know.  I have been considering upgrading to a big 120gal. and moving 3 of my tanks into that one.  The new comer is much smaller than the resident.  And he is pure black and the newcomer is a gold/black hybrid.  The pure blacks are definitely more aggressive than other angels, but that is why I have always really liked them.  There is lots of plants to hide in, but if the male would spot the female he would go all the way across the tank to cause hell.  The female is alright, a little picked at and obviously stressed but she can stay in that tank for a while.  I'll try again in a couple months when I can get a new tank cycled to move them into.  Thanks all.

Comment

You can also get a few more angels to spread the aggression around some.  Are you sure she's a she and he's a he?
            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Re: My Angelfish is a Lady-killer

Or better yet you could always follow the directions in this thread it is great.  

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

How do you know its a she?

Comment

The one that lays eggs is a female and if they hatch the other one is a male.
                  If you have lots of eggs but they don't hatch, two females.
                  Nobody lays eggs, then it's two males
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                    The one that lays eggs is a female and if they hatch the other one is a male.
                    If you have lots of eggs but they don't hatch, two females.
                    Nobody lays eggs, then it's two males
                    Only the first is always 100%

Comment

If you are lucky in getting them to lay eggs. I have two that mated regularly. We moved them to a new tank and they have yet to mate again and its been 4 months but its impossible to tell unless that get it on.
                      Resident fish bum
                      330G FOWLR
                      34G Reef
                      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                      X