modified emporer 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modified emporer 400

now 95% of the water is filtered. instaed of the ussual 50% and the bio wheel still turns. only thing is the filter pads clog sooner. but thats ok because the filter works so much better!

Last edited by imagirlgeek; 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Re: modified emporer 400

DIY king!!!

When the filters get clogged, where will the water overflow to?
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I actually saw this in action, simple mod that will cost about $5 each filter if that. Great job John, you should change your profession and become a inventor. :)

Comment

Tim when the pads get full it will over flow in the middle into the tank. the bypass over flow. Ceser how them boys doing?

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Okay, I've never had an Emperor 400, so I don't know how they regularly work..

Where does the intake water normally go if it weren't diverted like it is in the mod?
          Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

the water gets split. 1/2 is filtered. the other 1/2 is unfiltered and goes to the spray bar to turn the bio wheel. I just removed the spray bars and stuck this in so that water goes back behind the filter pads. 1 little hole(5%) to still turn the bio wheel. I have 6 of them set up so we will see long term. i just use them for mechanical. all my tanks have wet drys & canisters.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

thats nice. i never thought about all the water going through the spray bar not getting filtered, good idea.
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

8O Why not just plug the spray bar outlets and take the bio-wheels out ?
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Great mod!
                  I have two 400's and would like to try this.
                  Do you know the diameter measurements of the
                  PVC tubes used so I don't have to second guess it all?

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                    8O Why not just plug the spray bar outlets and take the bio-wheels out ?

Good question  

Comment

But my concern would be the BIO WHEEL's bacteria colony is now treating only a small amount of water compared to its original design or intended amount.

Like PP states, why not take the bio wheels off since your going to reduce the majority of the water treatment they would provide. ??

I'm not sure this modification is an improvement over the original design....??

CF
                      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

it's all good. :?   bio wheel is still 100% wet. bacteria still lives on it.it gets wet from the bottom. as it turns the water drips down. in my opinion it does not have to turn fast. fast does not make it more efficient. I don't need bio wheels because i have wey/drys. I really don't want anything competing with the w/ds but they are nice to have in case you want to instanly cycle a tank. filter pads gunk up much quicker because it is filtering much better. thats makes it a improvement IMO    since I make my own filter pads for .35 ea and i can change them in a few minutes this is superior filtration. Just in case ya'll dont know I HATE cleaning canisters. so if this filter extends the time in between canister cleaning imo it is superior filtration. by the way if someone wants these spray bars and clips come get them because I hate cleaning stupid spray bars too!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk";p="
                          it's all good. :?   bio wheel is still 100% wet. bacteria still lives on it.it gets wet from the bottom. as it turns the water drips down. in my opinion it does not have to turn fast. fast does not make it more efficient. I don't need bio wheels because i have wey/drys. I really don't want anything competing with the w/ds but they are nice to have in case you want to instanly cycle a tank. filter pads gunk up much quicker because it is filtering much better. thats makes it a improvement IMO    since I make my own filter pads for .35 ea and i can change them in a few minutes this is superior filtration. Just in case ya'll dont know I HATE cleaning canisters. so if this filter extends the time in between canister cleaning imo it is superior filtration. by the way if someone wants these spray bars and clips come get them because I hate cleaning stupid spray bars too!
                          Agree
                          look at some of the smaller models
                          they still have biowheels but w/o the spray bars

Comment

I'm not speaking out against this modification, I just wouldn't make it on my emps.....In my mind, the more water that passes over the Bio Wheels, the better.

The only thing I can think of to improve this dual filtration process by the emperor, would be to have the water fall gently onto the wheel, instead of being sprayed so quickly in such a concentrated stream. I would love to see a two tiered shelf, one flowing over the wheel, and the second flowing into the tank.

CF
                            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Not a mod I would use on a newly set-up tank
                              One of my tanks that has been running for a few years now
                              has such a large bacteria culture within the substrate
                              I haven't used those biowheels in a long time w/ pristine water condition.
                              So this kind of mod would work best in my case.

Comment

Working...
                              X