PDA

View Full Version : Mods....

eklikewhoa
12-28-2008, 09:42 AM
There has been a string of edits, post, deletions by one of the mods and honestly I think that if anything is to be edited or what not there needs to be a note by that mod left to let the community know.

There has been edits in other member's post done by a mod which would be misleading to the community and I think that it should be made aware that the mod is doing it.... if not please remove the mod since he is abusing his powers here.

PhishPhreek
12-28-2008, 12:14 PM
EK
Those are general examples and dificult to work with. *Would you please use more detail or specific examples.
Thanks

eklikewhoa
12-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Too many too list if you can't remember yourself what you have done.

I think position of a mod should be to make sure things go smoothly.... if not then attention should be brought to the problem and the community should be aware of changes made, why and by whom.

You sir have failed to do so on way too many instances and left the community in the dark about it along with editing the member's post without owning up to what you have done leaving the others to read it and be mislead about the member that was victim of your doings. Now if you would leave some sort of disclaimer or not that you edited a post or thread then everyone will know that you felt it was not apporpriate but that was never done and it has gone on for quite some time now.

imagirlgeek
12-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Okay, going forward how about when a Mod needs to edit a post, we remove only the part of the post that has broken the rules and add....

**EDITED BY MOD**

Lets do this for now until I can come up with a better system. *I'd like to see the reason the post was edited, but I'm not going to ask that be done for now.

Sound fair?

CichlidFan
12-28-2008, 02:00 PM
From my past experience with mods making deletions, I'm against it. I don't and won't use abusive language, and in my opinion, I have always tried to be as honest as posssible with any of my threads or discussions. I want my words out there for the record, I want other members to "judge" for themselves whether I am full of it or if I'm right on target.....

I too feel however, that if a MOD is going to delete a comment or comments, then he or she should post a disclaimer in regards to their actions.

It's the duty of each MOD to make their own decisions and choose to either take or not take action.

I believe PP is a bit quick to police the threads he is responsilble for, but that is him, making the decisions he feels are the right thing to do according to his belief's, and I respect him for that.

CF

PhishPhreek
12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Works for me
Thanks

imagirlgeek
12-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Let's not point fingers. *The mods are extremely valuable to this site, there is no way I could handle it alone.

The majority of the posts and post(ers) here don't do anything wrong, but on occasion things do get out of hand and we have to step in. *If we didn't, the forum could very quickly go downhill. *I've been on other forums where I don't even want to post questions because of the rude nature of the members. *I certainly don't want that to happen here. *

So we are all in agreement that we do as little as possible to ruin the integrity of the posts while still making sure the rules are followed and this isn't a hostile place to be. *I'm not sure anyone could ask for more. *:)

Let's have less of this * :pocc: *And more of this *:write:

jeebus
12-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Just add the reason why its was edited and who the moderator was in a code box like this at the bottom of the post.

jeebus
12-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Never mind, the code box on this forum is different from other forums I use. *:think:

Nickintex
12-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I've had to delete posts in the HAS section when the Fall auction thread came to be, as someone was posting personal attacks on other members there. I feel I made the right decision.

imagirlgeek
12-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Yep, that is the right time to do it. *And we'll keep doing that, just instead of deleting it entirely, replace the offending part with ***EDIT BY MOD***.

CichlidFan
12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
As a mod, that is your duty to act on your beliefs...if you feel it was for the best interest of the box and the subject matter was contrary to box rules or policies...you did a Good Job.

CF

CichlidFan
12-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm done with politicing for today, I'm going to go take a shower...and do sumtin around here.... :)

Laters

fishlady
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM
that sounds fair traci.....
it's good to see a quick response to members concerns ......thank you for your diligence on that....

eklikewhoa
12-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Fair enough...

I think deleting should not be the first option.... just a simple edit would show that the post was out of line.

Paleoguy
12-28-2008, 07:47 PM
:juggle: * * * :lupe: * * * * :kissu: * *OR :badsmiley:

PhishPhreek
12-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Since this thread has derailed and all the passengers and luggage have been strewn across the countryside, I'm going to add my .02 cents.
Didn't your nanny ever teach you that 2 wrongs don't make a right? * Its not really that hard to put you comments in the proper forum. *http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020080.gif

I think this rule has been misstated IMO. If someone posts something for sale and you have information about said equipment/livestock, you should speak up. i.e. If I post up a filter for $100 bucks, but just bought it for $50 from another boxer, I think that boxer should have EVERY right to call me out on price gouging.
By defination, if it is the rule then it is not misstated.
Making derogatory comments in an affair that is none of your concern is very uncouth. *If you must ad your unsolicited opinion, please use a PM.

eklikewhoa
12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Dang PP..... did you just go and delete a post again?

PhishPhreek
12-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Dang PP..... did you just go and delete a post again?

Slow down and think............
You posted right after Jeebus and it was in the wrong forum - about Prohibited Exotic Species
I mearly replied to it in the proper forum, unlike the two of you. :badsmiley:

jeebus
12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
EDIT: Post deleted because I posted this without realizing that it was a different thread. That "View New Posts" button can be tricky.

jeebus
12-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Okay, this is what I posted in a different thread because I didn't think about this thread that I'm posting in now:

RULES

These forums exist as a service for our members and guests to trade and sell their personal items. The following rules apply:

- These are not discussion forums. If you wish to purchase or trade, please post. However, if you only wish to comment on the quality of someone else's trade item or their price, with no intention of buying/trading, please keep it to yourself. So what this means if there is questioning with interest in mind then it's ok.

Since this thread has derailed and all the passengers and luggage have been strewn across the countryside, I'm going to add my .02 cents.

I think this rule has been misstated IMO. If someone posts something for sale and you have information about said equipment/livestock, you should speak up. i.e. If I post up a filter for $100 bucks, but just bought it for $50 from another boxer, I think that boxer should have EVERY right to call me out on price gouging.

The same goes for when someone posts something of good quality. If you have knowledge of equipment/livestock in question, you should be encouraged to speak up. The example I'll give is this one: LINK (http://houstonfishbox.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8713&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=). Algarciajr was selling 40 F1 Tropheus Kachese fry for just $250 bucks! That's a steal (great deal), and so I said so! I don't think stuff like that should be over moderated either.

Moderators should be reactionary, and not proactive. Proactive only leads to unnecessary censorship and lack of participation. Again, that's just my .02 cents.

jeebus
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Didn't your nanny ever teach you that 2 wrongs don't make a right? * Its not really that hard to put you comments in the proper forum. *http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020080.gif

Making derogatory comments in an affair that is none of your concern is very uncouth. *If you must ad your unsolicited opinion, please use a PM.

I made an honest mistake in terms of where to post, but nothing I said was derogatory. And this is VERY much my concern as a contributing member to this forum.

To accuse me of such is what is derogatory, and libel.

imagirlgeek
12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I think PP was referring to when you said

"I think this rule has been misstated IMO. If someone posts something for sale and you have information about said equipment/livestock, you should speak up. i.e. If I post up a filter for $100 bucks, but just bought it for $50 from another boxer, I think that boxer should have EVERY right to call me out on price gouging."

I don't think he was saying you were being derogatory now. *At least that's how I read it.

PhishPhreek
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
To accuse me of such is what is derogatory, and libel.

I did not intend to accuse you of anything. *I was commenting on you position that it should be OK for a 3rd party to comment on
the quality of someone else's trade item or their price, with no intention of buying/trading

eklikewhoa
12-28-2008, 11:01 PM

I think this statement made on PP's behalf was not directed towards anyone specific.... just that in a Sale thread dergatory comments are not needed especially if you show no interest or have any part of the transaction.... and to keep it to pm's.

PhishPhreek
12-28-2008, 11:01 PM
I think this is a good example of "Smile when you say that stranger"
It is so easy to read into a reply something totally different that what was ment.

jeebus
12-28-2008, 11:10 PM
And I would have initially agreed and thought nothing more of that statement, had it not come on the heels of my quoted post:

eklikewhoa
12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I took the comment as a general comment...

but saw where it could have been directed towards ya Jeebus.....

jeebus
12-28-2008, 11:13 PM
No harm, no foul.

Play ball!

eklikewhoa
12-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Ever been banned before jeebus?

jeebus
12-28-2008, 11:31 PM
hahaha... no. I get into scuffles like this with moderators about once a year on the various forums I frequent.

I became a moderator on one about two years ago, so its taught me a lot more patience. Its also probably why I said anything at all concerning this matter. Normally I like to sit back and watch it all unfold.

Delock
12-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Well....I will say this.

I have deleted alot of post when they did not fit the current thread. I try to leave a note but sometime I forget. So if anyone have a problem with it ask for my resignation. Reefwhisper tired that already lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eklikewhoa
12-29-2008, 03:28 AM
slowly raises hand...

J-WS6
12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
cool by me. i usually always leave a note after editing, unless it's for one of my own personal journal threads.

rrocket2002
12-29-2008, 09:49 AM

So, technically I cannot post pics for another member who asked me to? *Except for a couple of people I didn't think this was a big deal. *If anything it kept the thread bumped up to the top; people posting comments.

PhishPhreek
12-29-2008, 10:29 AM

So, technically I cannot post pics for another member who asked me to? *Except for a couple of people I didn't think this was a big deal. *If anything it kept the thread bumped up to the top; people posting comments.

Technically if you were asked, that makes you the sellers agent and your intension is to sell the item. *Therefore, not a problem.
I have never herd of a bump being deleated or edited.
Although many comments are humerous, I have seen them get out of hand in a hurry, becoming *:bsofftopic:

imagirlgeek
12-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Okay, this is just getting crazy. *We are all adults and shouldn't need a bunch of rules to tell us how to be respectful of other people...even on an internet forum. *This goes for MODS too. *I don't want to make a bunch of 'rules' because with that comes the need to restrict activity. *

Here's what we want...

1. *Don't blatantly hijack someone's thread. *While some members welcome the conversion in the threads (many of us are friends outside the forum), there are some who just want to sell their stuff. *Example: *I know if RRocket2002 is selling an item, I can come in and comment on his stuff without him getting irritated....but someone I don't know may not feel the same way, so I may not.

2. *Don't be rude. *Example: *If YOU think that someone is asking too much for their stuff, keep it to yourself, or send them a PM...don't bash their price in the thread. *You don't know if what they are selling is exactly what another Box'er has been looking for and is willing to pay out the nose for. *If they really want to sell it and it's not moving...they will lower the price over time. *

We all just need to use our heads. *Everything is not black or white. *The beauty of HFB is how relaxed it is and how many real friendships exist here. *We don't have to police it to the point that posts are being edited or deleted on a daily basis. *This should really only be happening in extreme cases. *Mods, treat it like you are a traffic cop...the person going 40mph in a 30mph zone...well, you might give them a pass and look the other way. *However, someone blazing through at 120mph...that's the guy you want to stop and talk to. *Make sense?

Can everyone just relax and enjoy the Box now?? *You'all are makin' me tense! * :lol: *:lol:

rrocket2002
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
:clap:

J-WS6
12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
:musik:

eklikewhoa
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/GIFS/party0018.gif

J-WS6
12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
lol

CichlidFan
12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Isn't that wave backwards? Or was it meant to be....??? You just never can tell on the internet now can you.... 8)

CF

Delock
12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Oh dang...I just saw the rules... :oops:

fishlady
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/GIFS/party0018.gif

now that's just too cute........ :clap: