Old man of the lake returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old man of the lake returns

After a long, dry period (not AA Bob!), I have returned. (Yes - I stold the line from McArthur - he's dead and won't mind.)
    After losing everything to a prolonged freeze coupled with a power outage, I lost interest, heart, and a lot of money in fishcicles. Being on the top floor of an apartment building didn't help matters.

I have returned and am building my collectons again. For those of you who don't know me. I am an old killie fan - HEY! HO! TAKO! I have decieded to concentrate on SAA's this time around. I don't have anything but peat to show now but I have S. carlettoi and S. fulminantis ready to hatch and Rivulus cylindraceus just arrived from a friend in Arizona. My betta colonies are better stocked with a nice small colony of Beta picta and pairs of Betta coccina and Betta edithae almost ready to have their first spawns. These are mouthbreeder species and much easier to raise than those fussy old common bettas. I have had some recent luck with Itherina in that I save some eggs from my school tanks and actually have a small group of the little guys survive and now starting to spawn for me! I have two other genera of rainbow fish spawing at this moment. Today was water change day and the males are pushing the females into the mops. I'm glad I have a couple of snail tanks to dump the mops in. The babies are so small they need infusoria and lots of it. My snail tanks seem to work fine for this.

What am I looking for?  Xiph's and Gambusia from good localities no aquarium strains!!!! My guess is that SA Livebearer show wil be my ony chance at these.

Well Howdy all - Merry new year and Happy xmas!

Stan  'Paleoguy' Perkins
    sigpic
    No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
    AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
    LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
    AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
    NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
    MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Re: Old man of the lake returns

welcome back Paleoguy.....

Comment

I guess it's true what they say, you can't keep a good man down......Happy Holidays to you too sir....

May your new venture into the wet side be longer and better than your last.

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Stan,
        I won 2 pair of LIMIA PERUGIAE (livebearer, Central America: Dominican Republic) at the HAS auction last summer.   They came from Fish Ranch but I don't know if they have them now.   Mine have grown into a small colony of perhaps a dozen.   If you'ld like a couple of pair just pm me.  
        I also have some  Endlers (Livebearer, Venezuela) and some Goodea  gracilis (livebearer, Chapala & Zacapu Lake, Mexico) If you're looking for something bigger.

PS also have microworms, banana worms, grindles & vinigar eels
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Are you into paleontology?
          PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Welcome.
            So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

What is "SAA"?   You may have been "dry" for a bit, but your technical jargon shows you kept your fins a little wet

Welcome.

Comment

Re: Old man - What is a SAA? How are they served?

Well always glad to preach on a favorite topic.

SAA - South American Annual Killifish. Annual killifish spawn during the wet season and live in temporary ponds and ditches. There are several genera with Simsonichthyes being the most common. These small fish must hatch, grow to spawing age and then reproduce within the lifetime of a temporary pool.
                Lucky for them food is abundant. Shelter is readily available and they thrive! In the aquarium, killiologists attempt to supply similar conditions to their native habitats except our 'glass ponds' don't dry up. This dosen't bother the adult fish - they live longer and reach a larger size in captivity. It does make it difficult to raise the eggs!  You have to trick them to get them to hatch!

In the wild, the fish lay their eggs deep in the soil of their pools. The eggs must survive untill the next wet period in order to hatch. We, killiologists, being marginly smarter than the average fish, fool them! We give the fish beautiful butter tubs filled with peat moss to breed in (the hot tubs of the aquarium world). The pairs dive into the peat and lay their eggs. After a week we remove the tub and process the peat.

There are different theories and methods of doing this depening on the killiologist. I put mine in a aquarium net and drain off the surplus water. When it is just right i place it in a zip lock or fish bag and seal it putting the species, date, and date to wet on each bag.

If i can get some pictures of these guys I will do an attachment.

If you are interested in SAA's or any killies contact the local group TAKO (http://www.tako.daelarue.com/Home.html) - A finer bunch of guys can not be found! We have monthly meetings at members fish rooms and there are usually auction species for you to take home.
                P. S. We are the most expensive group in HOUSTON -- TO JOIN $ 0.00 !
                sigpic

Comment

Re: Old man : SAA Pictures

photos as promised
                  sigpic

Comment

Killifishes are really cool. I liked them for a long time.

Nice pictures!
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                    X