Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EWWWWW! Help!Thin white worms in oscar tank!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EWWWWW! Help!Thin white worms in oscar tank!??

I was goint to clean my 29g tank with my one tiger oscar and there is a few 1/2 inch or so worms in the water! What are they and how to get rid of them. Tiger seems fine, HELP!

Re: EWWWWW! Help!Thin white worms in oscar tank!??

Are they actually swimming in the water? Have you done any recent water tests? If they're the worms I  think you're talking about, they usually appear in tanks that have accumulated lots of waste. That's very possible in a 29g with an oscar. :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

They were swimming in the water, I dont see them now.He is past due on his water change but only two weeks. Im running a emp 400 on his tank. Other than a major tank cleaning what do I need to do to keep him from getting sick from these nasty things?

Comment

Do they have flat triangle looking heads?  If so, its because you are overfeeding and/or not vacuuming the substrate often enough.  Don't feed your oscar for a few days or just enough for him to snack and remove any left overs.  They should die off if there is no food supply.
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

I dont tink so, I think they were straight, almost looked like thread. I feed him twice a day and he is usually looking for more after he eats the pellets I give him. 4-6 med. each feading and once a week or so I give him a molly. My daughter n law dumped about 40 small  mollies on me cause she didnt want them anymore I dont know what else to do with thim so Tiger gets one a week.

Comment

Are they free swimming or on the glass?
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

sounds like the tanks been too dirty for too long keep good cleaning regiment and should clear up.
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Free swimming. Im giving it a good cleaning after kids get in bed. he hasnt been in this tank but a couple of weeks so I didnt think it was to bad but guess I was wrong.

Comment

They shouldn't harm the oscar, but a nice water change once a week should get rid of them. If you get a nitrate test kit, that can help you determine if the water changes you're doing currently are sufficient.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I did a 99% water chance last night. I put  tiger in a cycled tank that stays empty and cleaned the Sh*t out of his tank. I was going to do a 50% water change in a couple of days and then go back to my once a week changes once it seems to be rid of the nasty things.

Comment

Planeria maybe?

Comment

They didnt seem to go away so Tiger is in another tank till I get that tank cleaned and recycled with an undergravel filter and a hob.

Comment

look closley does it have a dark little bitty head on it. at the very tip

Comment

didnt look that close but I already drained it. But from what I remember, no I dont think so.?

Comment

I agree either planaria or nematodes. Not a danger to the fish! This is a symptom of overfeeding. Slow down on the food!

Cures:

1. NO OVERFEEDING!

2. Freguent water changes - stir that gravel and siphon the results!

3. Test for ammonia  if it's too high you are still feeding too much!

4. Buy a loach or some killies and watch them get fat on the planaria!

5. In the old days, we added a couple of teaspons of salt per gallon of water. I hesitate to suggest this because of the  
                                        possible effects on sensitive fish and plants.

6. Another way we used to collect planaria in grad school for labs was to tie a small piece of meat to string and drop it
                                        the water. They would collect on the meat. (Please note the author is IN NO WAY SUGGESTING THAT YOU PLACE
                                        A PIECE OF MEAT ON A STRING IN YOUR TANK

sigpic
                              No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
                              AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
                              LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
                              AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
                              NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
                              MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

Working...
                              X