Has anyone cured dropsy/bloat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone cured dropsy/bloat?

I have a mickey mouse platy (dark orange with blue fins) that has been suffering from either dropsy/bloat (it's the one where the scales ARE protruding) for over a month and it has gotten really bad recently.  He is isolated now and I have tried antibacterial Melafix, that did nothing.  I've read around and all I've read is that it is indefinete to the cause and solution.  Right now I am trying salt.  First aquarium salt and today I am trying epsom to see if I can reduce the swelling.  I am thinking I am going to increase the salt levels slowly till I can see reduced swelling or either it's about time for the little guy to die.

I am no attached at all just would like to find a cure or at least some relief.  Thanks.

Re: Has anyone cured dropsy/bloat?

If its been that long just flush it.

Swift thump and flick the wrist to send it on its way.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well good to know.  If it is in pain at all then I would do anything to spare any further suffering.  I don't flush.  I put it in a bag without water and quickly slam it against a wall or counter top.  It is incredibly brutal but swift.  I had to do it once to a betta that I really liked because of an abnormality I had tried everything to cure.  It wasn't the first time I chose to euthanize in that fashion, but that time it was very difficult.  I remember nearly being in tears but it was in pain and so I know in that instance I did the right thing.

This fish appears normal, except for the protruding scales and extreme bloating.  If the epsom salt didn't do anything by tomorrow when I am home from work I will do what must be done.  Thanks ek.

Comment

Wait!!

I have a Tropheus who swelled up like that, looked like a little pinecone.  I treated with Clout to start, but it wasn't getting better.  I decided to just ride it out and just do regular water changes and Epson Salt.  I did this for about 2 months and he is back to normal.  Just a little of what I'd call 'stretch marks' on his sides is all that's left of the problem.

I'm trying to dig up some pics I took to show you the before and after.  I'll post if I can find them.
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by imagirlgeek";p="
          Wait!!

I have a Tropheus who swelled up like that, looked like a little pinecone.  I treated with Clout to start, but it wasn't getting better.  I decided to just ride it out and just do regular water changes and Epson Salt.  I did this for about 2 months and he is back to normal.  Just a little of what I'd call 'stretch marks' on his sides is all that's left of the problem.

I'm trying to dig up some pics I took to show you the before and after.  I'll post if I can find them.
          Please do what imagirlgeek said to do.
          Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

A swolen belly and protruding scales is usually a sign of fluid build-up due to kidney failure / Dropsy.

Although dropsy (the symptom) itself is not contagious,
            BACTERIA THAT CAUSE THE KIDNEY FAILURE in the first place usually are very very contagious.
            Any fish with dropsy should be immediately ISOLATED.

There is currently no known cure. Keep water clean, keep him AWAY from any other fish etc…
            In the case of a very mild raised scales, some fish have recoverd on their own. (Obviously not Dropsy)
            You'll have to wait and see what happens. Treating is pretty useless.
            Death usually follows in 5 - 15 days.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I've got a white comet goldfish with what I believe is dropsy. He first turned yellowish all around his lower abdomen, then the yellowness spread to his entire body and the bloating and pinecone shape with protruding fins. Have been treating it with aquarium salt and Jungle Anti-bacteria medicated food pellets. He is slowly getting better, the swelling has gone down dramatically and the pinecone shape seems to have disappeared. He never lost his appetite this whole time and the yellowness is fading away now. Hoping he's going to be cured of it. He's really old and I'm attached, so I am really hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Puppydoglover View Post
                I've got a white comet goldfish with what I believe is dropsy. He first turned yellowish all around his lower abdomen, then the yellowness spread to his entire body and the bloating and pinecone shape with protruding fins. Have been treating it with aquarium salt and Jungle Anti-bacteria medicated food pellets. He is slowly getting better, the swelling has gone down dramatically and the pinecone shape seems to have disappeared. He never lost his appetite this whole time and the yellowness is fading away now. Hoping he's going to be cured of it. He's really old and I'm attached, so I am really hoping for the best.
                That's awesome! If the swelling has gone down, that's definitely a good sign! Great job, and be sure to keep up with keeping his water very clean.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

yeah. will make sure i keep the water changed.

Comment

I LOVE a success story! Great job!
                    Our Fishhouse

Comment

RIP my dearest comet goldfish. I last saw him eating his dinner last night. I came into work this morning to see he had met his demise. He was not cured. I like to think that I did ease his pain. My poor baby.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.
                        Our Fishhouse

Comment

I have cured it with CLOUT and waterchanges. Do not feed anything but flake food during the treatment and only if they eat it. Meaning, only feed like every 3-4 days

Once they get better, the swelling will go down, and be careful. It has come back on me on the same fish a year later.

Take care and best of luck
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Interesting thread..I noticed a purple rainbow with obvious bloat a week ago. I treated him immediately with Metro and Melafix. His swelling appears to be subsiding a bit. I tried to catch him, but he still is much too fast. It's was obviously Bloat becasue the white feces was quite noticeable. So, it's been 7 days and I am hoping for the best? Not to say I will save him, but he has certainly not gottrn any worse.

Comment

I have a petro polyodon that has been bloated out for 5 weeks. Treated it with metro for 2 weeks. Even did a dip with metro. No good. So I did 2 clout treatments. No go. Now it's up to him. His swelling has gone down a little. The fish seems to have a strong will to live so I will change the water every 3 day's and keep epson salt in the tank. I feel I've done all I can do.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                              X