Please help me figure this out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me figure this out...

Got a bad case of infection in two of my tanks - Have probably lost 15-20 fish in the past two days - it has affected my plecos, guppies, mollies, rainbows and apistos - I just thought some of the dropping was from stress - changed filters - but no - so now I am treating it.  It has me really stressed out though.

I had to rip apart my 75 gallon planted tank and my 55 gallon semi planted tank to take out the plants.  I moved all the fish into the 55 so I could treat them all at once and not go broke on medicine - figured out what meds I needed and got some thanks to Dan at HAW....

Found some of my dwarf crayfish that I thought died - got some from HAW several months back and put the surviving two in that tank.  The female was berried and was chased down by another fish - I haven't seen them since, so I thought they got eaten, but apparently they survived.  I found the 2 adults, then saw a funny looking "shrimp" Turns out it was a baby dwarf cray - so far I have rescued 4 from the tank.  I am hoping to find more. Guess there is a silver lining to the cloud after all.

Re: yikes -

Ok, I am still having trouble -

I have dosed them with tripple sulfa, which was recommended to me, but they are still dying.  I have lost a huge number of fish, now including one of my discus.  I just don't know what to do and I am freaking out.

I dosed them with 6 packets of it a day and this is the 4th day now.  yesterday and today I have done 25%water changes as recommended on the package.  I have used aquarium salt and epsom salts in the tank to help them.

I am seeing a variety of symptoms.

Some fish have a reddish color under their scales, then a patch of scales turns white and flaky. then they die

Some appear to have their guts come out their abdomen, or when I find them dead, the abdomen is gone.  

They are found without a mark on them, spine somewhat twisted, fins sticking straight out.

Some have a reddish color under their gills.

What did I do?  

What should I use?

These fish were getting multiple water changes a week!  They are all dying now, and I am getting so discouraged.  My house is trashed because all I have been doing is taking care of the fish!

Comment

Re: Please help me figure this out...

Kris, it sounds like septicemia to me. Unfortunately, once a fish is that full of infection, they seldom survive. I've had good results with a combination of Mardel's Maracyn and Maracyn II used together. One treats gram positive bacteria, the other gram negative. The rest of your regimen sounds good...lots of fresh, clean water.

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
      X