Clear All

• ICK= What Works

Has anyone had any success in curing ick

i have never had success

but really only got it, when i first started several years back

what works

thanks for any advice

Re: ICK= What Works

i have allways had good luck with raising temp in tank for cichlids to about 82 and keep it at a steady temp...some other people use a salt to cure... but if it scales fish that get it like loaches good luck from what i have heard
    210 gallon tank...empty.....wait till you see what is coming

Comment

Slowly increasing temps upwards of 84
      Sodium Chloride
      Water changes
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've used the salt/heat method with success. The ich parasite is only vulnerable during one stage of its life cycle; the free-swimming stage. Raising the temp to 86 or 88 degrees speeds up the life cycle of the parasite. The slow addition of 2 to 3 tsp per gallon of salt causes the parasite in the free-swimming stage to die from osmotic pressure. Usually a week of treatment is sufficient, though the last time I used this method I kept the regimen up for 3 weeks to make sure. Water changes during treatment should be carried out as usual. The new water should contain the same salt ratio as the tank water. After treatment normal waterchanges without salt will eventually bring the tankwater back to pre-treatment salinity.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Raising the temp to 84-86 (causing the parasite cycle to speed up and fall off faster), then once there is only a little ick left on one or two fish treating with Malachite Green for 5-10 days (when the ick is vulnerable to medicine).

I've had good success with that.

EDIT: Corrected some incorrect numbers.
          Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Yep....salt and heat has worked for me as well in the past. I've used the method on hardy fish such as cichlids and also on delicate fish such as neon tetra with success. Then again....when folks like ek speak....I tend to listen....they really know what they're talking about.
            A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Comment

GOD HAS SPOKEN!

Hahhhhahahaahaha  
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                GOD HAS SPOKEN!

Hahhhhahahaahaha  

:signeek:
                A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Comment

ALWAYS TREAT for 10 DAYS. ICK is very prone to coming back even if all signs of it are clear.

When adjusting that temperature do it slowly up to about 86-88, and the same goes for when your lowering it back to normal 76-82 range. Lowering it back to normal can be just as dangerous as raising it so be careful.  I would not do more than 1 degree per 2 hours.

A temperature swing during a waterchange is nothing, a change where your going to hold it for for several days needs to be adjusted slowly.

I've used salt in mild cases, and Quick Cure for severe cases.

I cannot stressto you enough the importance, TREAT FOR 10 DAYS
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I believe the cyst or ich lives far beyond 10 days... I have read up to like months.

Also the best cure is to prevent it all together.... stable parameters, healthy fish, nutrional diet, and minimal stress where it can be helped. The state in which the fish is in up to the sickness is what really matters, if they are not healthy enough to fight of the infection the battle is lost.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

heres a really good article on ICK - life cycle - treatment options etc...

Comment

thanks guys, for all the info

it was for a former client of mine, just wanted to make sure i covered everything

his tank crashed and fish developed ick rather quickly, lost a couple of fish prior to him calling me

havent heard from him in a couple of days, will follow up and see how he fared.

tanks again to everyone for the great tips

Omar

Comment

I have had one good experience with Ick clear, made by Jungle. Purchased at petsmart. It does mention that you dont have to raise the temp but i did anyway. Tablets where added to the sump, minimal salt was added, 1 tsp per gallon.

I actually caught it late, but once i begin to treat, and change water took only 3 days to cure from treatment day.

hope this helps.
                          oh that........ thats just my 300 gallon fish tank, nothing fancy.

Comment

Some of the friends at LFS's swear by Quick Cure.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'll swear by Quick Cure too.  I always keep it on hand just in case. I got some at Village Tropical a while back...
                              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X