Removing Angel Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Angel Eggs

I have 4 angels in a tank, and two started breeding. They protect the eggs like crazy but they are always gone in the morning. Do they drop there guard at night?

I have an empty tank. When is it best to move the pair? Right before she lays the eggs and I notice she is cleaning?
    Last edited by djmatthewblack; 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM.

What's up with that????? I have a pair doing the same thing. What to do????

FF

Comment

If the pair is in a tank with others, no matter how protective they are, someone will get the eggs, or they get frustrated at trying to protect them and eat them themselves. You can move them to another tank anytime. Once a pair starts spawning their off buttom becomes in-operable and they will spawn about every 10 days to two weeks or so. It may take them a while to get back in the swing of things after the move, but a water change with slightly cooler water will normally induce them to spawn again if they are ready.
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

So when do you know when to take them out. Sometimes the eggs are white and sometimes the a re light brown?

FF

Comment

If the eggs turn white they have not been fertilized and the parents will eat them as they keep the slate or whatever they layed the eggs on clean. The color change to white will happen quickly, within the first day or too and more may appear gradually as eggs fail for one reason or another, normally due to fungus. Fertile eggs will be a clearish tan and as they develop you can will see the eyes and tails start to pop out. If you are going to try and raise the eggs yourself you can remove them as soon as the parents finish laying/fertilizing them. If you have never seen the actual process through too it's end, the female lays the eggs on the preferred site, normally your most valued plant leaf if you have live plants :furious:, then the male passes over the eggs and fertilizes them. You can pull the eggs and slate or leaf or whatever, and put the eggs in a jar or small tank with an airstone creating water movement over the eggs and some methylene blue to ward off fungus. I hope I didn't miss anything, it's early, I'll check back later and reread. There is a lot of information available on the web as well as TAFII ( http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/index.php ), that is, if you're really into angelfish .
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

good to know! :) Thank you! I have a pair that apparently are fond of each other, because they liad eggs 2x in the last 2 months.
            140 New World Cichlids
            125 African Lakes Victoria and Malawi
            80 Lake Tanganyika (Burundi Frontosas)
            30 Pundamilia Neyerie Ruti Island group
            29 Tropical Semi Aggressive/Community
            And to think....in January it was just the 29...)

Comment

Yeah mine are laying them about 3x's a month, and like DJ says they are always gone in the morning. szidlon thanks for all the great information.

FF

Comment

Thats what I must have forgotten was the blue because mine always got fungus.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Yeah I have removed them it the past and this slime fromed on them! And then nothing happened.

FF

Comment

Working...
                  X