females

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• females

How can you tell when a female in pregnant.

Re: females

Her belly gets bigger and her gravid spot gets darker.   If you look closely, you can see little eyeballs.  

gravid spot
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

that was a great link. thanks

Comment

well 1 got skinny again and saw no fry. at the time there was no other fish in the tank but 4 guppies. the prego is now in a community tank. do i need to do anything to help.

Comment

Do you have any cover for the fry to hide out in?  Those guppy fry are pretty tasty from what I've heard and won't last long unless they have a place to hide till they can grow a bit.
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

there a couple a hiding spots, but they have to find it or mom labors there. could stack some rocks so only fry can access.

Comment

Floating plants make a great cover for them, even if it's just plastic ones floating on the top.  Of course live plants would also give them something to nibble on.  I'm pretty sure that guppy fry will ususally head to the top of the tank, but it's been a long time since I had any.

Comment

Java moss or some other ground cover is critical the first few hours as they lay in the bushes & get orientated.  Then they move to the top for food and need floating plants.

or you can use the little plastic box - breeding traps.  but I like plants better.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I knew they went to the top at some point, just couldn't remember when, oldtimers disease kicking in I guess.  Maybe I should snag a couple of guppies at the next auction and refresh my memory, but it won't be the $70 a bag ones  8O . (or whatever the final bid was on that bag)

Comment

holy crap.

Comment

The cost to keep and raise fish is a lot more the the purchase price of the fish.  

It costs the same to house them and feed them and medicate them and you break even a lot sooner than on gambutsia.  

Comment

Good stock gives good results! Poor stock provides culls and feeders which anyone can buy for a buck or two.
                        Check out the prices the Japanese pay for good koi!  That will make you sneeze!!!!!

:rockon:
                        sigpic
                        No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
                        AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
                        LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
                        AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
                        NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
                        MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

wife thinks they're pretty. reality is they're cichlid food

Comment

I dont know if the light i have will support  plant life. where do i get java moss or other ground cover

Comment

Working...
                            X