Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brackish Anableps, treatment for scrape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brackish Anableps, treatment for scrape?

I've got a foursome of Anableps Anableps.  One of them has a serious looking gash in it's side.  Not sure what happened that might have caused it.  I moved all slate out, in case there was a sharp edge that I missed though.  I've googled and not found much on treating injuries on these guys, and figured I would ask since speed is sometimes of the essence before this gets worse.  

Brackish tank, current inhabitants are 4 Anableps Anableps.

Anyway, my question(s) - Has anyone here ever housed Anableps before or know about any particular things they may be sensitive to?  I've never had to treat my brackish tanks before, so this is new terrain for me.  I looked closely at the gash, and it doesn't appear to have any parasites (worms) or fungus.  I've used Melafix with great success for abrasions (on freshwater fishes), but since I usually buy the "Pond" type (because it's more concentrated, lasts longer), so it says nothing about whether it should/could be used in a brackish or marine environment.  I'm also considering bring  them up to a full marine environment, as I've read they can handle it just fine.  I just need to find out if my mudskippers can do this also, so I can keep them together.  I don't want to have to maintain an extra tank, and if I go full marine, I can drop from the current 3 smaller tanks (2 brack, 1 marine) to 2 full marine.  I could drop that to 1, but I think the purple lobster might do some harm to the mudskippers.  That would stink!  I think the Anableps would be OK, they're pretty quick and alert.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Spot
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: Brackish Anableps, treatment for scrape?

After googling this fish, I think, not positive, I seen some at AquaZoo awhile back. I know they were in full freshwater. They will probably know a little about the fish. Might be worth it to give them a call.

Comment

Melafix is safe for brackish and full marine. I have used it on both before. As for as the fish questions I can't help you sorry.
      A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Originally posted by edmlfc";p="
        Melafix is safe for brackish and full marine. I have used it on both before. As for as the fish questions I can't help you sorry.
        +1 Mela-fix
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

yah my bottle of melafix says safe for fresh and salt water.  I'd dose with it.

Comment

Melafix + Pimafix (both in pod versions) work well together.
            PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Thanks everyone.  
              I talked to Prosper at Aquazoo, and yes fishhog - they did have them not terribly long ago.  So now I'm dosing with melafix, and feeding antibacterial flake (contains Kanamycin) which fortunately they seem to really like.  will do a large water change tonight.  These gashes look like I oughta put some neosporin and a bandaid on them. I'll have a good look for fungus too, and use pimafix if it looks questionable.  I'll have to see where I can make space for another tank for the non-injured ones until the hurt ones get better - just cause that'll be that much less poop in the tank.  Still hesitant to put them in with the mudskippers just yet, as I haven't been able to exactly ID the Mudskippers, and whether they'll do ok in a highly brackish tank.  

Wonder if there exists some sort of medicated glue for fish? Like a bandaid that is painted on....  That would sure be nifty!
              The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
              Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spot86t";p="
                Wonder if there exists some sort of medicated glue for fish? Like a bandaid that is painted on....  That would sure be nifty!
                I thought I saw something like that at City Pets before. Some kinda drops you put directly on fish wounds.
                PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
                X