Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scraped up emperor Tetra, what i've done, should I do more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scraped up emperor Tetra, what i've done, should I do more?

One of my new Emperor Tetras got stuck in a hole in some holey rock where I couldn't see her.  She was in there for most of a day before I figured out what happened... ( I was leaning toward the jumped out and gotten eaten by a cat theory)

anyways, she is pretty scraped up between her face and  dorsal fin, and her tail is all shredded and short now.

I've taken out the offending holey rock(and the non offending holey rocks as well) and added some tetra safe ornaments.

I also started a round of melafix following the directions of 5ml for every 10 gallons of water in the tank once a day for 7 days.

I left her with the other 3 emperors, 5 harlequin rasboras, and 4 tiny bristlenose plecos, because they are all new arrivals in my quarantine tank.  Also the emperors do better in groups, and i figure keeping her in the group would help reduce stress, she seems to be able to swim fine.

any suggestions to speed along her healing?

Re: scraped up emperor Tetra, what i've done, should I do mo

I've lost fish to the evil holey rock as well...

I wish you could isolate the tetra, but it sounds like you've taken positive steps towards it's recovery. Fresh veggie's or fresh foods....???

Best Wishes.....

If you like, bring the scruffy looking tetra to me and I'll let you know how it goes.... :)

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Sounds like you did the right thing and "she" will be better soon. She prolly doesn't even know anything is wrong! I've lost a small angelfish to the holey rock. It sucked trying to dig it out...I did a crappy job and ripped it apart.  :(

Comment

I could seperate her into a little box net thing that is made to hang on the sides, or into a 5 gallon bucket with a bubble filter...
        I'm just not sure about whether the stress of being alone would outweigh the benefits of being isolated.  anyone know?

she seems to be able to keep up with the others pretty well and is acting normal.

Comment

Why are you thinking about separating it when you say, "she seems to be able to keep up with the others pretty well and is acting normal."?  You're right, imho, about the "stress of being alone would outweigh the benefits of being isolated.", especially for a schooling tetra.  Dose with the Melafix and she'll grow her tail back.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameo";p="
            I've lost a small angelfish to the holey rock. It sucked trying to dig it out...I did a crappy job and ripped it apart.  :(
            Ewwwww, thank's for that visual  :sick: .
            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Working...
            X