My Oscar seems to have the blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Oscar seems to have the blues

So I used to have a pair of large oscars, they never mated but they were tank mates for a few years.  Yesterday, I traded one of them along with a smaller oscar to another guy on fish box for a jag, a dovii, and a honduran redpoint. I still have one of the large ones.  Well ever since I brought the new fish home the big guy, who is now the largest thing in the tank, more than twice the size of anything else, has been doing back flips, laying upside down, swimming sideways and other erratic behaviors.  Has anyone else had experiences like this with their oscars?  I'm sure he'll be ok but this is just very different from anything I've seen.
    ‎Haiku's are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

Re: My Oscar seems to have the blues

If its under 100gal, then its  territory. These are all aggressive fish that needs their space.

Comment

Oscars are know to pout when things change. Give it time.

Comment

It's a 125, I asked my wife and she said he was doing it the whole time I was gone to take the oscars to their new home.  It used to be 3 oscars, 1 medium dempsey, a synodontis oscellifer and a medium pleco, and the oscars roamed kinda as a pack, ignoring everything else, because now there is only one of any type.  I hope he cheers up he had such great personality
        ‎Haiku's are easy
        Refrigerator

Comment

My oscar, Harry Potter (I posted pics of him on here before I believe), is doing the same thing right now. It looks like kind of a spawning behavior, he (or she) is doing backflips by the rocks. He got a 55 for Christmas, so should his upgrade cause him distress even though he has considerably more room? Moreover, the typical oscar owner's inquiry, "Is he bored/lonely?'"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfutI62KnOs[/youtube]

I was told putting a small school of giant danios in the tank would pique his interest, and he wouldn't be able to catch them. Anyone have input on that?

Thanks.

Comment

oh, he will catch them
            oscars are stuborn arse critters
            its chase til you die with these dudes
            for my old 12" oscar i used to give him small shells, he would play with those, pick them up, move em all ove rhte place
            he was a goof.
            also small stones, that stand out, any kind of little thing to peak there interest.
            as far as dithers, i would suggest 3 and only 3 cause you dont have much room for fish in that 55g with the o' i would suggest 3 silver dollars, they are to round, and the oscar wont see them as food. plus they are quick.
            but get them at a good size, like 4"+
            he will have fun with them.
            FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

mine chiiled out, this was right after I pulled out his long time tank mate (3years+) but once he settled down and and I introduced his new tank mates who were all a bit smaller (his old buddy was only about 2 inches longer but about twice as bulky) (note if you look at crash83's post in the general section "Dovii and friends" you will see 2 albino oscars, the large one was his longtime buddy and the small one was only with them about 6 mos. or so when I traded the 2 to crash)  But anyways, once he got used to his new "roomies" he quickly learned to enjoy being the big boss
              ‎Haiku's are easy
              Refrigerator

Comment

The silver dollar plan sounds good, I just don't want to crowd him though.

Comment

a few 3-4" Silver Dollars shouldnt crowd him to much.
                  i would however upgrade your filtration to nothing less that an Eheim 2217 or Eheim Pro Canister.
                  Hang on Backs Just arent enough for these messy critters, i am running an eheim 2217 and a rena filstar xp3 on my 75g.
                  it better to overfilter than to underfilter.
                  FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by steellotuslite";p="
                    The silver dollar plan sounds good, I just don't want to crowd him though.
                    get a convict or two. if you get a male and a female then not only will your oscar have a tank mate, he'll have an endless supply of feeders
                    ‎Haiku's are easy
                    Refrigerator

Comment

that is also a very smart idea, this way you no the feeders are healthy and wont hurt your o' although, they will breed, and may nip the o's fins :(
                      FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Very interesting video...thanks for taking the time to film that and post it....nice looking Oscar too....

CF
                        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by EaRtHeAtEr";p="
                          that is also a very smart idea, this way you no the feeders are healthy and wont hurt your o' although, they will breed, and may nip the o's fins :(
                          That oscar looks big enough to take care of business.  a nipped fin here or there is part of the cichlid game
                          ‎Haiku's are easy
                          Refrigerator

Comment

Originally posted by stevenallenbarnard";p="
                            Originally posted by EaRtHeAtEr";p="
                            That oscar looks big enough to take care of business.  a nipped fin here or there is part of the cichlid game
                            1 thing i have learned from cons, is that they are more than capable of taking care of buisness aswell, and with fish much much larger than them.
                            i had a breeding pair of Black Cons in a 60g(48x18x16) and they ran the tank, even over a 9" male Short Bodied Royal Green Terror, and a 6" male Mayan cichlid.
                            Psycho is the best way to discribe a breeding pair of cons. i sold them after a month, they had destroyed my gts awesome fins, and my mayan had a ripped bottom lip 8O
                            granted, the male con was 4.5" and the female 3". but still,. mean arse little fish, nipped fins is just the start  8O
                            FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Convicts almost  killed my oscar which needs a new home. Had to put the guy in a tank alone then I got rid of the pair of cons and about 100 fry.

Comment

Working...
                              X