Talking 'bout my generation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking 'bout my generation....

Ok so if you call wild caught F0 and their fry F1 and so on down the line. What do you call the fry from a Wild caught bred with an F1. Just something i was thinking about the other day.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Re: Talking 'bout my generation....

I'd call them Tank-raised.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I think the official notation is F0xF1.... I think....

according to this page...http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com...mendelian.html
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

qoute from link

In general when the fish bred do not belong to the same bloodline or F generation it is better to indicate the two F generations of that particular breeding. For example, if you cross an F2 generation male with an F1 generation female of the same bloodline, it is better to label the fry as F2 x F1. If you cross an F1 parent of one bloodline to an F1 parent from another bloodline, then the fry should be labeled as F1 x F1 and not F2. If you outcross an F1 parent with a wild caught specimen, you should use the F1 x F0 label.

makes sense, since you wouldn't want to breed two of same bloodline (father-daughter) ewww. but i dont think i would label them tank raised homeless because thats too braod and general and in my opinion left for fish of unknown origin. these fish would still be half wild genes and half  f1 which in my opinion would be almost or just as good as f1.  but i would still probably label 2 f1's as f2. IMO
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

F0xF0=F1
          F1xF1=F2
          F0xF1=F2

It carries on from the latest generation.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Just to throw something in the mix. If you say that WC + WC =F1, then how are we sure that both WCs are not brother and sister or cousin and so on.

Has anyone ever thought of that. Pesonally I don't care if they are wc , as long as they are great looking fish, i'm happy

Comment

There has to be a starting point.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

how about ver F1.1 rev 0  

Breeders Rules
                1) Do not breed two fish that have the same bad feature - the fry will be twice as bad.
                2) Always breed the best male to the best female unless it violates rule #1.
                3) When in doubt follow rule #2
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

All this is dependent on what type of fish is in question.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

In the wild

f0+f1 =f0
                    f1+f1 = f0

in the wild fish will breed with their offspring's. the problem is when fish keep breeding within a small group and there is no diversity thrown into the group. Just like lemon yellows. I only know one person who lemon yellows look the same when they were introduced close to 20 years ago.

Comment

In the wild there's so many things that keep fish diversity and gene pool diverse.

In our tanks we have too many people out to make a buck or try to get the fish to pay for themselves so every fry makes it through life and poor/weak genes are allowed to live which is how weak strains are made.

Thump, Flush, Freeze, Predators, etc....  keeping the gene pool strong and allowing for Natrual Selection.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                        Thump, Flush, Freeze, Predators, etc....  keeping the gene pool strong and allowing for Natrual Selection.
                        Or there's always the auctions :!:   :wink:
                        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

That's how the strain gets turned into crap.... pawning it off on others and then they breed them.

You release the poor strain into the market and next thing you know you have fish that can barely adapt to new waters and some that can even swim on their own.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Gotta get people coming back to the auctions somehow :idea:  :wink:
                            PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I rest my case.
                              :(
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X