Turtles as pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtles as pets

Just curious to know who else here keeps turtles as pets. I have 2 female common musk turtles, a vietnamese leaf turtle and now a 3 lined mud turtle (a small species like the musk turtle). I'll post pics soon.
    Last edited by Nickintex; 08-29-2009, 10:59 AM.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Re: Turtles as pets

I have 2 x tortoises.    No water varieties anymore.    
    "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
    "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
    -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

I used to have a box turtle that I found in an empty locker when I was in high school.  I have no idea how he got there, but I took him home.
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I had a baby snapper turtle and a yellow belly as a kid. I almost got a yellow belly right after Ike but someone else took it home. :(  I was off that day, and the guy that found him (named him Ike) brought him in, he didn't know that was my day off. One of the girls in the office took Ike home for the night and her kids fell in love with him so I told her to keep him. I never even got to meet little Ike. :(
        A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

i have a red eared turtle ...... :)
          his name is "chewie"...short for "chewbacka"....
          i am a major star wars fan.......

Comment

We used to have 5 red eared sliders, but they got too big so we let them go...turtles are dirty...LOL!

Comment

i have a res, and his name is turtle...  8)   are tortoises easy to keep?

Comment

have 2 large sulcattas that are my yard art.     these require alot of space as they become huge !!!
                very friendly and being desert torts the main thing is let them graze off the grasses/weeds and don't feed them too much protein or rich foods.   cripples thier metabolism /very unhealthy & causes defects as they grow.     romaine is a safe extra feed.  
                 weigh every 6 months & measure.   if there is a resonable gain no worries but usually deworm w/ strongid since they eat ANYTHING so even though vegitarian can p/u extra on the way.
                Harley is a female weighing about 75lb [9-10yr old] / Timmy is a male weighing about 60lb [7-8yr old].    have had 4+ yrs now.  just now coming to breeding maturity but can grow quite abit more till full size.
                they have winter housing w/ a heating pad used for hogs  to use as they choose - they do not hibernate.          
                Ike was spent in the bath tub w/ hay - not happy but safe - Harley just barely could turn around.        if weather had stayed stormy I would have just put up puppy gate and let them have the whole bathroom.         for these guys excessive wet can cause a cold [desert tortoise]
                have always had terrapins of one kind or another but love the giants.
                -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

When they finally start getting it on can I put my name down for one of the babies?

I always wanted a tortoise seeing them in the pet shops all the time but they were so expensive.

All I ever had was the turtles we would catch bayou diving.... red ears and alligators.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

....as in alligator snappers?
                    PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

yes, this is a turtle thread is it not?

We use to catch the little ones... size of half dollar or less.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Do they already have the lure on their tongue at that age?
                        PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

sure.   already have a list going.       they have been "practicing"   8O        the male, Timmy is alittle young so it will happen when it does.
                          -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex";p="
                            Do they already have the lure on their tongue at that age?
                            Not really noticeable
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by justdoit";p="
                              sure.   already have a list going.       they have been "practicing"   8O        the male, Timmy is alittle young so it will happen when it does.
                              Thank you V.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X