Strange Fry in my tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Fry in my tanks

So when I set up my new RCS tank, I tend to use water from another stable tank to cycle it quickly.  

I took plants from the shrimp tank, and ended up getting water from my 20 gallon tank (guppies and mollies)
    and my 75 gallon (dwarf honey gourami, apistos, threadfin rainbows, gertrude, dwarf neon rainbows, angel rams and a male and female blue gularis)

Well, I found a fry in the shrimp tank one day, and I shrugged it off as belonging to a guppy.  However, as it began to grow, I can see an outline of red around its body, and the fin structure is not that of a guppy.  So now I know something bred in one of my tanks, but I have never seen any eggs out of the 75 hatch - only saw eggs from those fish once, and they got eaten and that was when they were in the 30 gallon.  I am still watching it grow up, but I am perplexed.  

In my other new shrimp tank - for yellow shrimp, I found another fry, this more looking like livebearer fry - I had pineapple swordtails in there, and I wonder if they bred.  But it is just one fry, and didn't quite look like what I remember mine looking like as fry.  

So maybe it is a guppy fry from when I was moving the fish to the 55, and a baby got caught in a net and inadvertently transferred, or maybe its a swordtail.  I just don't know.

Re: Strange Fry in my tanks

Well, I'm intrigued! Keep us updated as to what they turn out to be.

My bet would be on the killies. They tend to spawn over long periods, and not many eggs are laid with each spawning act. Some of the killies I have lay only one egg per spawn and it's sticky and attaches to plants. I've actually unwittingly transfered some bluefin killifish eggs to other tanks in the same way you're desccribing, and found out when fry appeared.  :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I've always been amazed when I find a fat juvie in my daphnia tub.  I think they teleport, but maybe they're just really good jumpers......
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

that's cool Kris....a mystery stow away....
        try to catch pics of it....that would nice to see it....

Comment

Working...
        X