Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recharging Chiller?

Does anyone recharge their chillers?
    I bought a used 1/10 HP chiller but it seems to not be as efficient as i would like.
    It's trying to depress 83 deg to 78 deg in a 55gal. It's doing it, but it seems to be "on" all the time.

I'm wondering if i need to get it recharged and if so, how would i go about doing so?

Marc
    www.ventralfins.com

Re: Recharging Chiller?

Depedning on which type of Freon is used in the machine, you got to get a person with a liscense to recalim/charge it up.

Do you happen to know what kind?
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

It's a Current USA 1/10 HP.
      According to the product info, it uses R-134A.

Isn't that just Air Conditioning Refrigerant?
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

r134 is what they use in cars.look and see if it has  ports like on your car.if it has at least 1 car style port,and its portable,i can probably do it.it would help if you can get the spec for the charge from the maker(in oz.-lbs.)do not add any type of leak sealer to the system.

Comment

What is the ambient temp.?
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
            What is the ambient temp.?
            Ambient is 76 deg (at the office). But i'm running 2x 250W HQI MH in the main tank and a 35W PC in the fuge.
            I think that's heating up the water real bad.
            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by jughead";p="
              r134 is what they use in cars.look and see if it has  ports like on your car.if it has at least 1 car style port,and its portable,i can probably do it.it would help if you can get the spec for the charge from the maker(in oz.-lbs.)do not add any type of leak sealer to the system.
              wow... i don't know if i have the brains enough to do that... i'm the most technologically challenged person around.... Even if i were to see a port i wouldn't know what it looks like.
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Is there a canopy on the tank?

I know without a canopy and running a single 250w over my 30g plus 2x18w over the fuge and two massive in sump pumps there was a tremendous amount of heat.... if you have a canopy on as well you might not be cutting it with that 1/10 chiller. I keep my house at 76f as well.

If you have a canopy try adding a few fans to it to vent inside and blow across the water surface also another over the fuge/sump would help too! Keep it timed to the lights or on a controller. This was the only means of "chilling" I used over my tank and it brought it down from 98f(pre final equipment test so it would probably have been higher, this was lights alone) to a constant 79f.

Also to keep things on the real, make sure there is proper ventilation for the chiller.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by nacra99";p="
                  Originally posted by jughead";p="
                  wow... i don't know if i have the brains enough to do that... i'm the most technologically challenged person around.... Even if i were to see a port i wouldn't know what it looks like.

Well, it should have a port and does use the size as automobiles unless it's an old design then you would have to get an adapter.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

hmm... you have a point about the hood.
                    I have a glass versa-top covering the tank.. ironically to reduce evaporation.
                    I'll try removing it and putting a fan to it and see what happens.

thanks.
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
                    X