Feeding RCS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding RCS?

So what do you guys feed your red cherry shrimp to really make them really red?

I have some that are nice and red, but it seems that most of them are mostly clear with a red tint.

I know I've seen them in peoples tanks much much redder then mine are!

I've been feeding them a couple tropical fish flakes a day...

Re: Feeding RCS?

My RCS get a variety of food...fresh greens, veggies, algae wafers and home-made shrimp food. Some of the juvies are bright red but all the adults are bright, cherry red. The home-made food contains protein, also several kinds of blanched veggies and multivitamins.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

yeah.. unfortunately there are a couple of morphs of RCS, some redder than others. This is what happens when people don't practice selective breeding.
      Mostly it's the females get really read when they reach breeding age. Males tend to be a bit more "see through"

Some people say that axastanthin (sp?) helps... I think it's one of the ingredients in Colorbits.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I guess its probably because mine aren't full grown then... my biggest are 1/2 inch... but they dont really seem to be growing at all.

I've got some other foods I could feed them... its just a matter of not putting in too much since I've only got about 11 shrimp in the tank...  guess I'll try to break some of the algae wafers into small pieces.

Comment

I feed mine shrimp pellets, zucchini, fractions of algae wafers.  

I found one type of shrimp pellet that they love - but I will have to tell you what brand later...

Mine are really red, some so red I can't see when they are saddled or carrying eggs unless they have climbed high enough in the tank that I can look up at them.  

I also have baby bristle nose pleco in there that cleans up leftover food...

Comment

Mine eat Tetra ColorBits, Zucchini, Romaine, and Spirulina discs
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

When I kept them the best color was obtained by feeding NewLifeSpectrum H20 flakes and wafers. Another thing is when I see RCS available I buy a few to add to my group which kept the gene pool strong and fresh.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

That is a good idea.  I think mine have come a bit at a time from 3-4 sources.

Comment

new life spec makes this color enh. food pellets that i feed to my rcs once in a while,and i org. got 60 from a breeder in AZ.  they wren't that red when i first got them a yr ago... with each gen. they get redder and redder...  

the pic was taking around half yr ago...  i also feed them cuttle bones...

Comment

Working...
                  X