A. Helena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A. Helena

When i last checked, there were barely any little pest snails for them to eat anymore...
    Does anyone know if they eat anything other than snails? I don't want them to starve to death.
    I think they are A. Helena.
    www.ventralfins.com

Re: Help!..Snail eating snails did too well a job......

In the absence of fresh meat they will also eat the usual snail fare.  I don't know if it's true or not that they will not lay eggs without the protein from their preferred meal, I haven't run out of MTS's yet and probably never will.  Yes, they are anentome helena.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

The reason why i ended up in this situation is that the only "other" snails i had in the tank before adding them were baby ramshorns. They picked all the babies off before they had a chance to grow into adults and reproduce. Hence no more baby snail food for the A. Helenas.

Perhaps i should just go get some MTS.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

We have MTS if you want them.  I usually just fling them out into the yard, but if you need them for food, I can put them in a container for you instead.  But can't hold them for too long.  :-)

We're at BW8 and 59S.
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I'm sure you will find no shortage of volunteers to supply you with MTS's, except for me, of course   .
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

True... nacra99, I've got plenty in one of my tanks as well. I live pretty close to downtown.
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thanks for the offers guys!

I spoke to the guy whom i got the snails from, he says that he feeds and breeds them on purely hikari sinking wafers.
              So i am thinking i should be good for now since i feed my plecos the same thing.

So i guess they don't need to eat other snails to breed.
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

so those guys eats other snails, what happens if they over breed?    who is going to eat them?

Comment

LOL I am sure if nacra ends up with too many he will be all too happy to share with fellow fishbox folks, right?

PS...if you have any extra...

Comment

nacra99, perhaps you should loan or rent your killer snails to fellow members in need! :emtidea:
                    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Now there's a thought LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mahoro";p="
                        so those guys eats other snails, what happens if they over breed?    who is going to eat them?
                        Hmmm... that sounds like one of those.. "if a tree falls in the forest..." questions.

They breed REALLLL slow... from what i'm counting... maybe one baby at a time?
                        I started with 5 about 3 months back... now i can count only 8.

They're real funky lookin though... they have this "tube" sticking out of their head like an elephant's trunk... and their mouth can extend as long as their body... I'll post a pic or vid a bit later.
                        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by Krisvalkyrie";p="
                          LOL I am sure if nacra ends up with too many he will be all too happy to share with fellow fishbox folks, right?
                          PS...if you have any extra...
                          Hahah.... of course!  That goes without saying  :wink:
                          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Do any lfs in houston have these?

Comment

Haven't seen them locally, but i know a few of the guys here have some.

I got lotsa eggs.. but have yet to identify a single baby.
                              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
                              X