.75 cent sponge filter....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .75 cent sponge filter....

I was in Wally-world last night and happened to pass a display that caught my eye. It was a bunch of car was sponges for $1.50. I wasn't sure how well they would work so I only grabbed one. Being rather large I cut it in half and then rinsed each piece real good. To check how well the flow through the sponge would be I saturated it with water, then turned the faucet up full blast. The water flowed right through the sponge without even a trickle running over the sides. So I hooked one up to a maxijet 1200. It's in my 75g right now and seems to be working great. The flow is pretty stronge and the sponge is already collecting all the nasties. Wondering if I should trim the sponge down a bit or not???

A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Re: .75 cent sponge filter....

thats funny
    Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

i was actually making some smaller sponge filters, with a similar sponge, but with PVC and that stuff to run off of airpumps, for smaller tanks. was keepin it a secret  :wink:  but i got my sponge from LOWES and it doesnt have the really cool blue and white pattern, just plain yellow.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Hah.. nice!
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

i would say trim it down a little more but that s a good idea. in your face overpriced aquarium sponges!
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409";p="
            i would say trim it down a little more but that s a good idea. in your face overpriced aquarium sponges!
            Trimed it down by cutting it in half long ways....that gives me 4 filters....what is that? just over 21 cents a filter?     ....also gave it better suction picking up more debri.
            A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X