What are these things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these things?

I have these little white dots swimming around in my Tetra tank. There are literally thousands of them 8O ....too small to see clearly or get a good pic of. They are clinging to the glass, the plants, all in the gravel and even floating around the tank. I've had these before in my daughters guppy tank....they aren't harming the fish in any way that I can see, but I sure don't want them in there.

Any idea what they could be? :?
    A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Re: What are these things....?

Are they like a worm?
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

No, not at all....just a little dot...........................like these....but there's more! 8O ....

Comment

Sounds like a copepod, HH. Try googling and see if they fit the bill.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Maybe they are these?
          Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

They're not snails....never had any and these little guys are moving around way too fast to be a snail. They could be the copepod....I'm working on getting a good pic....

Comment

Ok, I took the best pics I could....it seems these little things disappear when you use a flash on the camera. If you look closely at the pics you can see the little white dots. In the 3rd pic I circled them.....little suckers huh!

Comment

Got any pleco's ?

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan";p="
                  Got any pleco's ?

CF
                  Yes....Why? Do they eat these things? Cause if so, I have two 9" pleco's that could tear through that 20g in no time flat.

Comment

Well, I have no idea what they could be, but my first reaction was to think of how to get rid of them...ie ...pleco....??

Try it...? hopefully it's not harmful to the fish

CF
                    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

They're in....sure makes them look big being in that little ol' tank. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens....so far it looks like the bugs are winning....as soon as I put the pleco's in they had those little things all over them. 8O

Comment

Do they have tentacles?
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

Originally posted by rrocket2002";p="
                          Do they have tentacles?
                          Not that I can see....I'm going to get a magnifying glass later to check these suckers out. This is my second infestation in 2 totally diff tanks. I believe I am causing the infestations by leaving the lights in the aquarium on all the time....too much light=higher temps=infestation....or so I think.

Comment

Well, I sure hope they are not harmful to your pleco's, I'll feel terrible if  they get sick now.....  

Keep us posted...

CF

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan";p="
                              Well, I sure hope they are not harmful to your pleco's, I'll feel terrible if  they get sick now.....  

Keep us posted...

CF
                              I doubt they'll hurt them....they never hurt any of the little guppies in the first attack and the Tetra's look lively and healthy. They're just an eye sore to me.

The pleco's are starting to settle in....one is sweeping the gravel while the other is cleaning the back glass....

Comment

Working...
                              X