Mpulungu with a knipped tail fin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpulungu with a knipped tail fin

I've got a single moop that has been being picked on i guess by the others.  He is one of the smaller ones but def. not even the smallest.  My fry dont even get messed with.  My question is what would ya'll do.  He is starting to seclude himself from the others and hiding in the rocks.  He has a good amount of his fin missing.  There is no sign of bloat.  he was eating untill today when he just wont come out of hiding.  he has had no stringy white feces. and no bloated stomach.  thanks shawn.
    I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Re: Mpulungu with a knipped tail fin

Remove the dominant male to another holding tank/bucket, and re-arrange all the rocks perform a 75% waterchange, leave the lights off, then add the dominant male back in the tank.

If this still does not work, you need to arrange your rocks so that you got 2-3 piles in your tank.  It is best to have the center pile be the largest so that line of sight is knocked down, or..have the two piles in the corner absolutely as far apart as possible with only a minor rock in the center.

Other things that always help from the very begining.

HAve 12-20 fish depending on the variant and in a 75 gallon aquarium.  With Moops I would recomend 18-20.

I keep (3) 20L's for timeout, acclimation, isolation, and healing.  Sometimes even after all the things you can do with rocks, waterchanges, and colony re-organizing, sometimes you just got to go to isolation....or...have Quoc (ek) over to talk to them for a good beat down.
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

In your 135 gallon with the proper amount of "TRopheus style filtration", you can have about 30-40 adults.
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

i have 3 very large rock piles in the tank.  Like you said the largest rock is in the center of the tank and is occupied by the largest.  I have 38 moops in there.  There is no real visible aggression problems.  I have never witnessed this particular fish being chased or picked on.  The Tank that he came from was home of a large colony of livuas.  maybe it happened in there before i got him.  I will just keep my eye out for anything out of the ordinary.  thanks shawn.

Comment

I would go out and buy one of those cheap little fry baskets. They are made out of netting and designed for you to keep your fry in the main tank. They hang over the side of the tank. The reason I say used this method is so you won't have to reintroduce this little fellow later. The other fish will already see him in the tank and he won't seem new to them.

Comment

i have thought about that as well.  I will keep an eye on him.  I partially believe in the survival of the fittest.  All the others are excelling and constantly on the move.  Water parameter are perfect and i do a 75 percent water change every 4 days.

Comment

If one thing doesn't work, try another.  I've gone through so many aggression problems...and a different method worked each time.

1.  Nkonde tank - added huge piece of holey rock to the center of the tank to create a visual barrier between the 2 ends.
              2.  Ikola tank - Added 9 HUGE Dubs.  
              3.  Brichardi/Moliro tank - Had to remove a Brichardi who was just getting pummeled and put him in hospital tank, then when he was healed up, I put him in with the Nkondes.  No other choice...either he moved or he was going to die.  The Nkonde accepted him with no problems....not even treating him like a new fish....weird.

My point is, keep trying until something works.
              Our Fishhouse
              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

well unfortunedly i dont have multiple tanks since i live in a small apartment.  I believe that he came this way when i got him.  If he doesn't get better then im going to try the breeder net for a while.

Comment

I would isolate him until he is healthy and then trade/sell him as he probably will never contribute to your gene pool.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

yup it will only get worse. he's been rejected. i would only put the aggressor in the isolation net. i have reintroduced rejected moops to other colonies several times. most of the time though they are loners out in the pond till i can find someone to give them to. good luck

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                    X