UNREAL.... Petrochromis - The Algae eating machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNREAL.... Petrochromis - The Algae eating machine

i bought a male petrochromis tircolor 3 days ago... he is about 3 1/2 to 4in and a f1... this guy has almost cleaned an entire 210 gallon tank of algae that i have been growing for over a month an half... when people said that they snack all day i didnt realize that, that meant all day long.... there is no possable way to grow enough alage in a tank to support a small colony much less 20 or so......i now understand why people are forced to grow alage outside the tank and then introduce alage back into tank... now on that topic does anyone have a full proof way of doing this? an easy way to move alage from holding area to tank? i would really like to continue to have alage for the colony i am buying and am looking for a good way to acomplish that thanks mickey carroll
    210 gallon tank...empty.....wait till you see what is coming

Re: UNREAL....

leave a bottle of non-chlorinated water by the window for a couple days?
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
    Co-President of CAK

Comment

What's up Mick !!! Hola atcha boi !!! So you decided to go with the Petros instead of the Trophs?

Comment

whats up dave.. and did i mention that i have been growing alage for a month and half and one petro has almost wiped out the entire tank.... so i am pretty sure unless i have about 25 jugs of water lined up everwhere that might be on to small of a scale.... and yes going with a few diffrent types of petros instead of tropheus.... just couldnt really find trops that i could fall in love with.....

Comment

So use a trash can instead of an ozarka bottle =)

I know it sounds goofy but, I'm being serious. I know I've heard of someone doing it before..

David Seratt
          Co-President of CAK

Comment

a clear trash can?  well then now your talking about outside instead of a window? maybe i dont understand what you are saying.. i can understand a clear 3 litter bottle but how would you do a trash can? and then keeping bugs and birds out? maybe you are not going into enough detail for

Comment

well.. ok.. It doesn't have to be a clear trashcan just grab anything big from wal mart.. fill it with de-chlorinated water and leave it on your back porch (if that is an option) if you want to keep birds and homeless people out I guess you could cover it with a screen or piece of plastic or something clear...

Then just leave it alone and let nature take its course.

Or.. seriously. Ok, my friend has a pond in his back yard.. it's like... green. Way way way way green with algae. Tomball may be bit of a drive to come scoop some out but perhaps you know someone close by that has a similar situation? where is deer park at again? bleh.

David Seratt
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

and when and if you grow alage how do you transport it and place it in tank? lots of flow in tank so alage would get sucked into filters quickly.... really looking for a way to grow alage on to something and then place that something into tank inorder for fish to feed and then remove.. floating alage wouldnt be much of a help. but thanks for trying and the info.....

Comment

So that Petro is eating all the algae and all the food your feeding him, too !! WOW !!!

BTW .... The one Petro that I like even more than Fronts....can't be gotten. You've probally already guessed that I'm talking about those Red Bulu's. I would sell every fish I have plus every tank for some of those Bulu's.

Comment

ooh, good point, I'll check around tomorrow, I can't brain today, I have teh dumb.

David Seratt
                    Co-President of CAK

Comment

o it can be gotten.. 1000 dollars each......... how bad do you want them... i felt the same way but to me there are plenty of others that look cool that you dont see often....

Comment

It is amazing how quickly their huge mouths can shread the tank clean.  They are some really interesting fishes.

I have never tried to just keep growing algae like nothing, but here are some of my ideas.

Kid's swimpool filled with some larger Holeyrock pieces or other rock that will go into your aquairum, and leave it where it can get the most sunlight.  You could also put some pieces inside with a sunlamp or something.

just some ideas..
                        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Oh, they really like seaweed and romaine lettuce.
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Re: UNREAL.... Petrochromis - The Algae eating machine

Hey would this work for growing algae....

Take a old 55 or 75 gallon tank and line up the front and back walls with 12x12 tiles?

CF
                            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Re: UNREAL.... Petrochromis - The Algae eating machine

Or just take a 175 bowfront I have for sale for 200 and use it to grow algae. The tank have a small leak in the front corner but you can use clear liner and fill the tank with water.

Comment

Working...
                              X