No announcement yet.

Woke up to dead fish and cloudy water.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woke up to dead fish and cloudy water.

I checked my water yesterday on my 90 gallon planted:
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    ph 7.2
    water change 25%

I woke up this morning to two dead rosie's and slightly cloudy water. Just did another water test:
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    ph 7.2

The only thing I can think of is "maybe" I forgot to add prime before filling the tank back up. I don't see any other dead fish, but I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong. Nothing was sprayed around the tank, no one smokes in the house, and I don't believe the cat's did anything to it. My hands were not in the tank after the cleaning, before or during the cleaning. I changed the water in all the tanks and the other's are fine, no cloudy water, no dead fish etc. Here is excatly what I did:

1)tested water
    2)added flourish excel (as I do everyday) usually do this after a water change but this day I goofed and added it before the water change. I did not add more after the water change.
    3)feed fish
    4)water change 25%
    The only thing is that I can't remember if I added the prime to this tank or not, while doing the water change my phone was ringing and I got distracted. :(  I remeber adding prime to the other tanks but can't remember adding it to this one. Could this be what happened? Did I kill my fishies? :(
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Re: Woke up to dead fish and cloudy water.

With all the passion in which we strive to make our fishies as comfortable as possible, I think it's safe to say, you did not.

These things happen...

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

your a good fish mommy....don't beat yourself up...things happen....
      get a tank magnet that you can stick on the tank your working on and flip it when you put in the prime and then you  won't forget..... :wink:

Comment

Thanks CF, I'm assuming that the cloudy water is due to the two dead fish. I did a head count and everyone else is accounted for.

Comment

That's a great idea fishlady, I actually have a magnet on all my tanks. On my 160 I usually mix the prime with cichlid buffer in a bowl and sit it on top of tank. Then when I'm refilling it I pour the mixture in. I thought about using those little medicine cups for the other tanks so that I won't forget again but you have a better way that I might try out next week. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X