Kuhli's going crazy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuhli's going crazy...

About 2 days ago, my kuhlis started acting funny. I have a 10 gallon planted with 5 kuhlis, 2 "lampeye" killies (I can look up their full name if you're really curious), a group of clown killies, a few tiger and cherry shrimps, and 3 dwarf puffers. Crazy mix, I know, but all hand-me-downs.  

Anyways, 2 days ago 4 (sometimes 5) of my kuhlis started swimming up and down and up and down the front left corner of the tank. Within an hour they had even "dug" out the sand in that corner. I figured maybe it was because I just did a water change, or something. But now, more than 48 hours later, they haven't stopped. Up and down all day and night. The only change in the tank is that since I added the dwarf puffers a few weeks ago, everyone's been getting frozen food instead of flakes.

Anyone seen Kuhlis do this? I was thinking they would eventually get kinda tired...but apparently not yet...Since I've had them (got them early summer) they tend to hide most of the time and come out during feeding and every once in a while besides that. But they haven't hidden in days!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Kuhli's going crazy...

I'm not very familiar with kuhlis, are they scaleless?  When I've had black ghosts in the past and they were out when they weren't supposed to be and being overly active it was because they had ick or some other unknown parasite that was irritating their skin.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Uh oh... :(

Yeah, they're loaches, so I'm pretty sure they're scaleless.

Everyone else in the tank is acting normally, i.e., same as every other day. Although it's kind of fun to watch them do the up and down thing (kinda like some Olympic ribbon dancing ceremony) I'm curious as to why they're doing it.

I haven't seen any spots or anything strange on their bodies, and they don't seem to be "flashing" or anything like that. And I have been watching the tank more than usual after adding the puffers. I normally QT everything, but I got these guys from a coworker whose fish-keeping abilities I trust...I will keep watching, though. I hope no irritations show up.

Comment

I have a horseface loach who does that about once or twice a month.
        Maybe it's just a loach thing. He could just be happy.
        Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
        Alexa Rae
        Co-President of CAK
        MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Maybe someone with more knowledge of parasitic attacks on scaleless fish will come along and enlighten us.  There seems to have been a lot of unexplainable ich outbreaks lately.  I had one myself in my 75 that first showed on the cardinal tetras.  I had not added any new fish or plants and there had not been a temperature fluctuation.  Maybe their constant wiggling is their form of flashing   .

Comment

I have clown loaches and they do that all the time, especially after a water change.

Comment

alexarae and phish - they do it for days at a time, with no end? Sorry, I'm kinda new to loaches.

szid - thanks for the responses! I'll keep my eye on them. It's just when I've had fish that are flashing, it's only occassional, not constant.  :?

Comment

Maybe ther're just trying to drive you crazy  :crazy: .  Let us know how it goes, maybe they will settle down in a day or so.  Have you checked your tap water to see if the city has tossed any surprises your way, with all the rain we've had they maybe putting extra chemicals in to clean it up.

Comment

Hmm, nope. Haven't checked the tap, good idea! I'll check it in a second.  :)

They're definitely on the way to driving me crazy, though!  

EDIT: They just stopped for a total of 4 minutes. They're back at it, but that's the first pause in behavior I've seen.

Comment

Try cutting back on their caffeine.  That helps for me.   :signspam:
                    Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

I've had kuhlis for the last thirty years or so. It's normal behavior for them to do that. Mine are especially active when the barometric pressure changes. Some times they'll go nuts for days at a time. Mostly they live in the rock piles and come out at night to feed.

Mark
                      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Hmm...

I was gonna suggest a dab of StressCoat just in case something was irritating them.
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

Look to see if you have any particularly fat ones.  That would indicate a gravid female.  I've read they do that at times as a spawning behavior.  Mine do it frequently - fat or not, both the myersi's and the anguilari's (striped and blackline, respectively), each of which are kept in separate tanks.
                          The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                          Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Co sign with spot..

My clown loaches would do the same thing every now and then!

Comment

My clown loaches are doing that right now.  8O
                              Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                              Alexa Rae
                              Co-President of CAK
                              MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Working...
                              X