Carbon Bottle & RO/DI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Bottle & RO/DI

okay this might be a stupid question but I never know what those stuff are.
    anyone care to explain what a Carbon Bottle & RO/DI  and how it works ?
    and looking at that prices, is there a way to make a DIY ?
    My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Re: Carbon Bottle & RO/DI

I'm sure that Ek will know..because he knows everything.
    And I'm sure that Phish will know...because he does alot of DIY.

I leave you in good hands grasshoppa.
    Also, it's not a stupid question, I'd like to know as well.
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
    Alexa Rae
    Co-President of CAK
    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

In a nut shell....Carbon bottle - removes cholorine & the like -

Reverse Osmosis = is used to remove dissolved impurities from water through the use of a semi-permeable membrane.

If you like reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

The DI portion of RO/DI refers to de-ionization, which uses an ionic exchange resin to remove ions, charged particles, from the water, thereby decreasing total dissolved solids, or TDS. Most DI set-ups use a mixxed bed of cation and anion exchange resins and remove particles with positive and negative charges from the water. Used in conjunction, RO and DI produce extremely pure water, almost as pure as distilled. The drawback is the resin bed needs to be recharged periodically and the RO membrane needs to be back-flushed to retard clogging. Eventually, RO membranes have to be replaced. RO/DI can be expensive.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

What CF said.

The carbon bottle is used to filter chlorine impurites and other harmful metals it works exactly how water lines to your fridge door should be hooked up...simple carbon bottle. This can be DIY and you can get with fshfrk cause he has made some.

RO/DI is Reverse Osmosis De ionization which is a series of filtration....usually first is a sediment filter, then carbon fitler, Reverse Osmosis and last your deionization which further removes. RO/DI will strip the water of just about EVERYTHING so when you use this you must re-buffer the water and add back the good minerals/nutrients.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

seems like carbon bottle diy is doable. any picture or diagram of what a carbon looks like and size wise ?

Comment

they look alot like the standard O2 bottle we've seen here on the box....or picture a divers tank if you will....same thing...you know what they look like....stop it... :)

CF
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

so basically its just a large tank full of carbon?
                and you pass tap water through it before it enters the tank ?

Comment

It's more like a media reactor or fluidized bed filter.

Water is plumbed to the bottom of the composite bottle and forced through the carbon from bottom to top.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

so kinda like this ?

Comment

You could do it like that....the ones that are sold commercially have both inlet/outlet at the top but the inlet goes all the way to the bottom.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

more like a tube runs down the middle of the bottle and the carbon surrounds the tube, the water runs down the tube, up thru the carbon and out into the tank ...

CF

Comment

oh okay ! ...so its pretty simple then
                          what kind of media is needed in it and how much volume wise for it to be effective. ?

Comment

carbon is the media, as much as the bottle can hold...I suppose....?

CF

Comment

You want to buy one?

Comment

Working...
                              X