Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vitamin C....Not just for you but now for your fishies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin C....Not just for you but now for your fishies!

Ok, So I have been toying with different carbon sources and experimenting with them to the extreme to test and see for myself since others fear the worst. I have since been trying the use of Vitamin C.....no not the flinstone's kind but Sodium Ascorbate Crystalline Powder to fuel Nitrate consuming bacteria but not only does it help there but supposedly it's beneficial to the fish!

Here's a thread I found that someone is actually using it for Curing/Prevention of bacterial infection/diseases/etc. as well as dealing with ALGAE!
    Use of Vitamin C

This is the Sodium Ascorbate powder I am using which is buffered to 7.1

$5off coupon code....FOR500
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Re: Vitamin C....Not just for you but now for your fishies!

Interesting Ek....so you just throw it in the tank...or mix it with the food...or what?
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
    Alexa Rae
    Co-President of CAK
    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

It's crystalline powder....I just mix it into the water.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

sounds intersting. My puffer could probably use a little as well as my plant tank.
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
        n

Comment

I'm using the same stuff in my saltwater tank. I haven't tried it in the freshwater tanks. My nitrates have actually gone down. They say the stuff is great for reef tanks. I have noticed that I am finally getting some coraline algae. I have only been using it for about 3 weeks. I learned about it from pufferpunk. I think she wrote an article on it at reef central. It's a pretty long post but worth reading.

Here's part 1: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1252294
          Here's part 2: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1330742
          A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Thanks for the tip
            I'm always looking for something to give my show bettas an edge
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

That's one of the ways I am using it too and read the same super long thread from pufferpunk.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Have you used it on fw planted tanks?

Comment

Not this in particular but I have used supplements that contained a decent amount of VitC
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

My 16 oz jug of Sodium Ascorbate came in today.  4 days - not bad delivery
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Yeah it's pretty decent!

Did you use the new customer promo code?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You KnowI Did.  

Comment

So how has it been working for you PP?

I have been dosing it into my Tropheus tank but not high enough yet....not sure if I noticed much difference but nothing negative. Everyone has increased in appeite and my fry are growing faster but then again I have whirlpool like flow, 100% x2 water changes weekly and feed heavily.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've only been using a TBS per 55g so I don't think it's really had a fair trial yet.
                            but I just set up a few new spawn / isolation tanks with it so I should know soon.

Comment

Any updates on the Vit. C for freshwater?

Comment

Working...
                              X