Lyretail Mollies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyretail Mollies

My mollies finally had some fry!  I am so excited!  There are only a few in there - but they are born much bigger than guppy fry it seems.  There are about 4 so far....

Re: Lyretail Mollies

Congrats! Just be sure to seperate the fry from the mom and any other fish in the tank, if you can.
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

yeah, separate fast. Congrats though...the first fish I ever had (Balloon Belly Molly-her name was Pearl), gave birth when I got her home. I had no clue what to do...so I put them in a jar with an airstone, lol. Go figure, they survived.

Best of luck with your babies. Just remember, if she gave birth once...she'll most likely do it again. Get ready for a tankful.  
      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
      Alexa Rae
      Co-President of CAK
      MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by alexarae";p="
        Just remember, if she gave birth once...she'll most likely do it again.
        and again.....  and again.    
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
          Originally posted by alexarae";p="
          Just remember, if she gave birth once...she'll most likely do it again.
          and again.....  and again.    
          Loving the new smileys.
          Congrats on the fry!
          A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Thanks.  

I will probably leave them alone.  I used to go nuts rescuing all my guppy fry and putting them in a separate tank, but I ended up with a million.  They are in a tank with guppies and the lyretails, with tons of plants for cover.  

My guppies and mollies are good about not eating babies.  I am Italian.  If I see a living creature that is looking like it might possibly think about getting hungry in the next week I try to feed it.  It is through will power and constant reminders from Diehl that overfeeding is bad that I don't end up stuffing my silly goldfish to the gills because it begs for food constantly.  So my fish are generally well fed enough to not want to eat the fry.  It helps that I feed them frozen brine shrimp and blood worms a few times a week.  

Just looked and there is now 9-10 of the babies :)

The reason I am so happy to see them is I have owned the mollies since the mini auction at Delock's for GHAC, which was in May, and I hadn't seen any fry - I have one male and six females, and I am used to the speed the guppies breed at.  These mollies are full grown (I think - they are bloody huge at any rate) and guppies get pregnant at such a tiny size...

Comment

If they are the Black Lyretails, they are small for Mollies, and will have smaller spawns. As the female has more spawns they will be larger, and one breeding will produce 4-6 spawns.
              So, congratulations, and get used to monthly fry.
              Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Working...
              X